Labradors Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Diana just love reading your posts. Feel reassured by all your advice.
Buffy comes home on Saturday and I sure I shall need your help along the way.
Thankyou

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have just come across this fantastic piece of advice - Wispa is 11 weeks old. Apart from being a bit loose in the first few days after bringing her home she's had firm poos - until today! Started during the night last night - managed to get her outside thankfully - gave her a small portion of usual brekkie and she had another loose motion a little while later which had no blood but was a bit mucousy so just gave her plain scrambled egg at lunchtime. More mucousy poo around 3pm and then a proper liquid squirt just around 6pm - panic stations so looked on here - *sigh of relief* - she's now going to be starved till tomorrow lunchtime and we'll follow the plan. She too has been eating leaves and twigs in the garden since we brought her home. She still seems fine in herself though so hopefully the good advice on this post will work. Funny though, she too was wormed last Friday, 2nd jab and microchip on Monday. Hmmm. Makes you wonder doesn't it??? Thank you so much for this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for this advice - our little Woody is just 10 weeks old and has been suffering a little bit with his loose stools. He is such a monkey and tries to chomp on anything and everything in the garden... we are constantly removing leaves, grass, mud, soil from his grasp!

His toilet habits are very weird... he will not go from about 5am until 2pm in the afternoon... the first one is pretty firm and then they get looser and looser as the day wears on (he goes about every 3-4 hours then). He is absolutely fine in himself, full of energy and mischief, so I am definitley going to follow your advice and see what happens..

Thank's again
Evie and Woody xx

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, thanks for this information. My 12 week old pup has had an upset tummy late last night / early hours this morning and for his breakfast have just given him rice and scrambled egg (no milk). I'm so hoping this will work as like all new owners I am anxious but on looking at him he seems fine in himself. Fingers crossed and thanks for all you helpful advice on LF ......

Kelly & Paddy :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like Odin will be having scrambled egg for dinner tonight :(

He has been fine in himself but had loose poos last night and today. He is still on the food he came on but he has been having some treats that i dont think were meant for little puppies, so i have stopped thoughs and will follow your advice.

fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi all

Just bought little Archie home on Friday and he now has the runs. I kind of expected this to happen as everything is new to him, also he had his first injections/wormer on Thursday.

His breeder fed him on pedigree chum and Purina but I would like to get him off both of these and onto JWB puppy kibble so I've been gradually integrating the JWB into his PC so that this is changed slowly - am I doing this right? I didn't want to instantly change him over but now Im not sure what to do as his tummy is runny.

He's only eight weeks and gulps his food down and is drinking his water. Should I carry on with the plan and hope it clears up? Or just give him the JWB as he already has the squirts and hope it clears up.

He's only been home for two days so maybe I'm worrying too early!

Any advice anyone please?

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Hi Nicky

He came home on Friday, had his injections on Thursday so little Arch is coping with a lot!!!!

At this time he has so much to cope with so keep him on the same food that he has been having, Ok, you might want to change, but let him settle into his new home/life first.

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

Reactions: paws

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank goodness for all the advice posted on this thread. I have a 11 week old black lab called Skye. On Friday he had his second vac and lo behold on Friday night he had the first soiling incident in the house. Yesterday he pretty much pooed normally but last night I had to take him out twice for the dreaded and very loud 'runs'. Today, he has eaten as normal and not had a poo at all. He also had a worming tablet this morning. I think I may be in for a very long night. I have been at my wits end worrying about this as its a reminder of losing my elderly Westie only a month ago.
Skye has eaten all his food for the day so I will start him on plan tomorrow.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Thank god this is a sticky! lol It has just happened to me.

Dalai has been doing great. She is 11 weeks this week - and has had her first squirts!

Can I just ask, is this the right stuff to buy:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Protexin-Pro-Fibre-Dogs-500-g/dp/B00BEXP5MA

I was going to get a tub for future!

Deborah
I have that stuff and use it once in a while if I suspect the squirts are going to happen. I mentioned it to my vet who told me it's used more for anal gland problems.

I now have a supply of prokolin + which I would probably use first :)

Reactions: Littlelab

·
Registered
163 Posts
Great! Is that the stuff that comes in a tube? Is it 1 tube per problem or does it last a few?

Deborah

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Great! Is that the stuff that comes in a tube? Is it 1 tube per problem or does it last a few?

Deborah
Yeah its in a tube, I'm sure you can get it in different sizes. The original one I had was from the vet but I then ordered from Amazon and just got the 30ml again.
There are instructions with it for dosage/weight of dog :)

Reactions: Littlelab

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not sure if you would class what Dalai has as runny though.

She has a poo which starts hard, then gradually goes softer. Then gets up and acts like not finished so goes again and this time its very soft then finishes runny.

She has done this a few times.

Is this ok?

Deborah

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Sometimes if it starts off ok and gets softer that can be down to over feeding. Are you weighing out her food?

Strange question but does the poo smell ok? Cola had runny poos some days and fine the next and it turned out she had Giardia. The smell was foul, reminded me of cdiff so it was that that kind of gave it away she had a bug.

If it isn't offensive I would maybe cut back her food a teeny bit for a couple days to see if that does the trick :)

Changing her food may cause tummy upsets too and remember Millies is very rich so any change needs to be done slowly. When I was changing Cola over I was advised to do it over the couple of says but I took a wee bit longer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for your response :)

It smells ok I think, I tend to hold my nose when picking it up :D It does have a smell of course but I wouldn't say foul I don't think.

I did think of overfeeding. I do weigh it out but have been treating as training as well and forgetting to reduce her normal food to compensate (thinking it would be ok) so maybe reduce that!

Will give it a try!

Thank you

Deborah

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Thanks for your response :)

It smells ok I think, I tend to hold my nose when picking it up :D It does have a smell of course but I wouldn't say foul I don't think.

I did think of overfeeding. I do weigh it out but have been treating as training as well and forgetting to reduce her normal food to compensate (thinking it would be ok) so maybe reduce that!

Will give it a try!

Thank you

Deborah
That may well be the problem as its very easy to over feed with it. I did it as well without even realising until she had a bit of a runny bum. I now use some of her daily amount of kibble for training and also carrot. If I'm using anything else I reduce the food a bit to compensate. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well we've finally hit our first big hurdle with Monty (5 and a half months). He's always had a bit of a sensitive tummy and we've had him on Wainwrights Grain Free from 9 weeks. He's always had runny poos on walks especially since he's off lead and I've always assumed its down to excitement. He'll be fine with lots of firm poos you can pick up and then hit a day or so of Mr Whippy type ones and then back to normal. However, 2 weeks ago he got the serious runs and although fine in himself and not off his food, he couldn't keep anything in and ended up losing weight and being a big lethargic.

We moved him to scrambled eggs/ rice/ chicken after starving and 2 trips to the vet and some pro-kolin and antibiotics later (just in case) and he was firming up again. Monty stayed that way for maybe 2 days before going back to square one. We did move him back onto kibble but slowly and with reduced portions.

So now we're back on pasta/chicken, I've got the pellets in his meal and I've bought more pro-kolin. But still no improvement. He's fine in himself, crazy hungry (like any good lab) and generally good natured but I just can't seem to get him firmed up again!

So, I'm looking at the panacur as I'd dismissed that as a worming solution which he's already had but now read it might fix other things. I'm also wondering if he's getting something in the garden as he will start to firm up and then go backwards again.. Walks definitely get him over excited and cause runniness but I feel terrible depriving him!

Are there any other things I should look for (no blood or mucus in poo)... I'm convinced it's something to do with his food or eating something he shouldn't!

I should add I've now got some purina pro plan sensitive digestion for puppies but am loathe to switch him until he's better (am hoping this works as I work for the company so get discounted product-fingers crossed)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Did the vet take a sample of poo to test for bacteria?

I wonder if he has been scavenging when off lead if he is hungry and picked up something to set him off again.

Sometimes it is tempting to start normal food too soon and can set them back, I also try to stick to what is working regard getting them firmed up and not deviate, its boring but worth it, plus 3 small meals is much better, and if he does get sloppy when off lead then lead walk until he is well and truly back to normal, even in garden for toilet breaks its worth keeping lead on if you think he is finding bits to scoff.

Unless you do keep a close eye on him you can go round in circles for ages with recovery, I have found this from plenty of tummy upsets with 3 of them to cope with that eat allsorts when out on walks:rolleyes:.

I hope you can get him back on track soon.

June

41 - 60 of 74 Posts