Labradors Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Di, as always your advice is invaluable! Jessie is on day two of the trots but is absolutely fine in herself. I've just given her some rice with ProKolin (left over from last trip to vets with older dog!). But if no better this evening then will miss a meal and start your plan...
Just a quick question - I wormed her on Monday night - should I still use the Panacur granules if no better in a couple of days? Not sure if that would mean overdosing a bit on the worming front?!
Many thanks, not sure what we'd all do on here without you!
Lucy x

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi every1, so glad i found this site - we have had our gorgeous chocolate lab Riley for just 9 days, but it feels like a lot longer as he's fit into our family so well. All was going well until early yesterday morning, when his poop has become much looser (no blood or mucus though). Now, we haven't changed his food (kept him on the same food as what the breeder had him on) haven't changed the amounts of feed or timings, he's drinking plenty of fresh water, got no access to rubbish bins, and he's generally still the lively, happy, playful puppy he's been since we got him. The only thing i can think of is that we have to really watch him in the garden, because he'll try to eat leaves/grass/moss whatever he can get basically! He's due his 2nd jabs this Thursday, but shall i just give him plain rice later for dinner instead of normal food & see if that helps or wait for the vets, advice much appreciated, bex x

·
Registered
12 Posts
Diana - thank you so much for the step by step guide. I have bookmarked the page and have referred to it many times. It works well and has saved a couple of trips to the vet.

I have a 17 week black lab. You have described the sequence of events perfectly. Poops were perfect until about 12weeks. We took her to the vet when she had loose stools for 4 days and got the prokolin and panacur. Since then she is fine for a week and then almost like clockwork, every 7 days they are loose again. We changed her food about 10 days ago and thought we had cracked it as her poops were firmer than ever. Unfortunately back to liquid today so am about to follow your guide again.

My question is this...has anyone else experienced this? I can't understand why it comes and goes so frequently.

(She is growing, gaining weight, and has boundless energy!)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
I would stick with the same food and give it in smaller portions soaked the bags often suggest more than the pup actually needs and that can make them loose, if you keep changing foods or flavours that can trigger problems and avoid any treats not anything at all except their food until you've sorted the tummy issue.

Barmeybex have you wormed him? The jabs can also cause loose tummies so don't jump too quickly also eating things in the garden - make sure he's not getting to anything toxic there are lists on the dogs trust website for you to check your plants. If this is continuing now then maybe get the vet to check a stool sample for giardia and campylobacter that can be the cause of ongoing issues and is worth checking before you go changing foods etc.

Emjanow it happens because pups don't have hardy immune systems and because they eat things they shouldn't which hurt their tums, also changing food even when done 'by the rules' slowly over 10 days can still be tricky as their tum gets used to it so as above don't keep changing and stop all treats until you've got Ripley settled, smaller portions and soak the kibble make sure they aren't getting an extras you don't know about - hubby/kids/in the garden. Ensure worming is up to date and that jabs can cause a day or two of dodgy tums. Then go back to Di's advice and follow it and hopefully all will be well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for your reply Paws. I will give smaller portions today. My husband did give her quite a big breakfast yesterday so hopefully that is all that is wrong. It is getting quite disheartening as each time we think it is all gone and she is back to normal it starts again. Any hoo, thanks again and fingers crossed it goes as quick as it starts!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Bumpety bump!

Di

·
Registered
83 Posts
THANK YOU SOO MUCH for this fantastic piece of information. We are also at the 'what have we done to her?' stage and was about to call the vet for an appointment this morning when I stumbled upon this forum site. NOW it all clicks into place - Daisy, our gorgeous 11 week old pup, has been doing so well and then went for her 10 wk 2nd injection. We, as complete novices, were advised by the vet that she should also have 2nd worming/flea, kennel cough and endure microchipping too! all in one go?! Standing infront of the 'professionals' we duly agreed and within 4/5 days our bouncy, full of fun, chew anything and everything pup was off her food, fed up with herself and was very loose! Thanks for explaining all so clearly for me I feel much happier now that I know it is chemical overload, and wish I had discovered you post last week where I could of insisted waiting in between each dose. I really appreciate you breaking down the 'what to do now bit and will order the granules today. Scrambled eggs and rice sounds good to me!!

·
Administrator
20,738 Posts
were advised by the vet that she should also have 2nd worming/flea, kennel cough and endure microchipping too! all in one go?
You expect your vet to know best, and when it comes to treatment they are highly trained. But often they are not highly experienced dog people, and certainly not experienced in breed specific problems. People like Di are likely to have had very many more pups under her belt than any vet could hope to. :)

Regards, John

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks John, I agree and they certainly know more that I ever will. Part of this all takes me back to being a 1st time mum - in fact its worse!! I dont think I ever worried about the kids as much as this! We seemed to have sorted the 'back end' as she is currently back to normal (although not holding my breath!)but now weeing every couple of min and only producing a teaspoon? Think she must be teething too as she is drooling everywhere!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
they are worse than the kids :roll:

keep an eye of the peeing, i don't intend to alarm you whatsoever, but that could be the early symptoms of a UTI (but it may not be). just from the problems we had with our wee pup Phoebe, should your pup have a UTI it needs nipped in the bud, they can really take hold of young bitches.

so please just keep an eye on the frequency of the urination and if needs be speak to your vet :)

·
Administrator
20,738 Posts
Teething can start at around 12 weeks Rach, and can continue until around 6 months. So yes, she's the right age now.

Regards, John

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well that's good to know John as she is a right old slobbery chops at the mo!! and thanks also to Gavnles, I'm booking her into vets 1st thing tomorrow as she is definitely not weeing properly and keeps crouching but either nothing produced or just a teaspoon full, this has gone on for most of the day so not taking any chances with her!! Thank you both for all your advice.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
RachR said:
Well that's good to know John as she is a right old slobbery chops at the mo!! and thanks also to Gavnles, I'm booking her into vets 1st thing tomorrow as she is definitely not weeing properly and keeps crouching but either nothing produced or just a teaspoon full, this has gone on for most of the day so not taking any chances with her!! Thank you both for all your advice.
good plan, if you can manage to get one, a urine sample would probably be useful too :) it's not easy tho :roll:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quick update on Daisy. Managed the wee sample using the 'tupperware lid technique'!! Really strong colour so was convinced she had infection. Vet has done a dip test and told me sample is absolutely clear so she hasn't U.T.I. but something called Juvenile vaginitis?? He has given me a spray to squirt in her mouth as this will help with inflammation and make her more comfortable. No anti-biotics were given for this condition. I have to go with the professional as I have absolutely no idea!!
On another note can anyone tell me how long it takes for paid subscription to activate? Did mine yesterday morning,1st thing, and have paypal receipt to say its all gone through but still not showing on LF- just curious is all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to Diana

We have had Rigsby for nearly 3 months now. He is our first puppy and I think we must have got lucky because so many people go on about chocolate labs being a real handful but Rigsby is a dream.
The only problem we had was with the dreaded squirty bum. The vet put him on Science Plan ID which sort of helped but as soon as we carefully weaned him back onto "normal food" he would be off again. A friend with an older Lab had had similar experiences and had found switching to Wainwrights complete dairy free had sorted her out so we tried that to no avail. That's where Diana came in. I read her advice, started worrying a little less and have now got a puppy delivering a couple of lovely firm poo's a day. Turns out about 75% of the recommended amount suits him perfectly along with some Profibre granules and a daily probiotic capsule.
I can't thank Diana enough for her sound advice and have since passed on what I learned here to a couple of other concerned puppy owners.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Diana just love reading your posts. Feel reassured by all your advice.
Buffy comes home on Saturday and I sure I shall need your help along the way.
Thankyou

21 - 40 of 74 Posts