Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rueben seems to have turned into an absolute loony over the past couple of weeks!!

In the main he's pretty well behaved but over the last couple of weeks he seems to have become incredibly boisterous! 8O

Don't get me wrong, he's always had his funny five minutes (on a daily basis) where he has a mad hooly and bumtuck round the garden, but he has now added launching himself at the sofa to his repetoire!! :roll: :lol: :lol:

There doesn't seem to be any particular thing that sets him off, but its at least twice a day at the moment. He just launches himself on his unsuspecting target, jumps next to them onto the sofa, wraps himself around their neck and bites!! Only play biting mind, but he's quite large now and all that weight coming at you, especially when you're not expecting it, can be quite painful! Especially for the boys in the house!!

He gets plenty of exercise and lots of attention and playtime with us. Is this normal puppy behaviour? Should I nip it in the bud now or is it something he needs to get out of his system and will grow out of?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Phew i thought i was the only one!! Winston is nearly 8 months and is very full of beans which i love but... hes a handful now!! :lol:

Winnie jumps on the sofa all the time now but i worked it out he was after flies! and now hes got into the thing of barking once for attention which never works with me as i just ingore him!

There funny arent they! Im sure he will grow out of it but i hope Winston does grow out of it soon! :lol: Even though its fun sometimes... can be painful have a 20kg on your lap! Hope your ok and doesnt have any painful legs! !

·
Registered
233 Posts
Harvey does the same thing, he is only 22 weeks,i just don't understand it, and its usually me sitting on the sofa.

I have just come back from the wood, when he was there he was walking a bit in front of me, turned around came charging towards me jumping up and mouthing me(only playing).

I wounder why they have these crazy moments with no warning, sorry no help at all, but will be watching this post.

Mandy

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its nice to know I'm not the only one!

Lets hope we all get some answers!!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Its perfectly normal but if he`s hurting people with his leaping onto the sofa antics then he has to be shown thats wrong as he is all other things, made to get down straight away will get though although may take a while.

When he starts a session that you know will end in one of these leaps stand up and say no in a firm voice, he may still jump but you`ll be ready for him, standing up may surprise him enough to stop him in his tracks, CJ at age 5 will still have these moments and I`ve found the above works with him :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mary! I do the standing up thing when I see him coming, but he doesn't always do it at the end of a hooly! Sometimes he just does it completely out of the blue! The other day he hopped up with the lightness of a fairy, (thought he was coming up for a cuddle) then he launched into his crocodile impression! :lol: :lol:

It's nice to know that this is normal behaviour though!!

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Lunatic did turn even more lunatic around that age. More bumtucking, more running around the garden and refusing to come in, more growling to initiate playfighting :roll:, just lots of general over-excitable behaviour for no apparent reason. Think it was a rebellious, teenage stage.

She's now much calmer (except that fitting with suspected season she's switching between cuddling and being grouchy grump of hormones!) and has reverted back to being obedient again!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phew! Thanks Laura!!

Some of these problems seem a nightmare to me sometimes and I think I'm the worst doggy owner in the world, but I come on here and realise there are lots of people who have been there before me!!

It's nice to know it's not something I'm doing wrong! Makes me feel SO much better

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
It's always good to know you're never alone!!!

Just remembered a trick my OH learnt when Luna was having a 'jump up on sofa without warning' spell! A thick cushion placed on lap whenever seated!! He really regretted getting rid of cricket 'box'!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts