Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi We have a yellow Sandylands by the name Buster who is now 7 and before it is too late we would love to mate him as we believe he is a perfect specimen of the breed in appearance ,temperament, health and pedigree
it would be a shame for his DNA to be lost.
david Jones
Cranleigh
surrey

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
Sorry David, advertising dogs for stud is not allowed on here. But a few thoughts for you. What health tests has your dog had? No responsible breeders would consider an untested dog. The minimum for a Labrador is hip and elbow scored, cost around £400, A current eye certificate £65, DNA tests for PRA, CNM, EIC and SD2, (if you use somebody like Pawprint Genetics who the Labrador Breed Council have negotiated preferential rates, around £250)

The problem then is that it's the bitch owner who decides who to use, and in general they are looking for a dog who has achieved something, such as acquitting it's self in the show ring, or in the field. So it's easy to spend 600 to 700 pounds on testing, and for nobody to be interested in using him. Think, there are something like 40000 Labradors born each year with something around half being males, so really, he needs to have done something exceptional to get himself noticed. A common thing I hear is, "But I'm only looking at pet dogs, but my answer is "Health is just as important for pets!" My advice is to forget it and enjoy him.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Agree with everything John has said. Bitch owners have the pick of proven stud dogs with health tests in place, unless you're just going to allow him to procreate with any bitch out there. I would suggest you look for a dog from similar lines, lots of information on the KC website and Champdogs.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Echo everything John and Tarimoor has said. Any bitch owner would want to see things in a stud dog that’d improve on their bitch. Without the full range of health tests and proven ability in the field or show ring, I’d not even look at your lad.

Forget it, keep you boy as your beloved pet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts