Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we sadly lost our very special lab Megan last year she was 13 we miss her so much ,we would love to adopt a older lab not a puppy we are in our sixtys but our son lives with us .we live in Scotland can anyone tell us where we might look please thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried asking local vets. The bigger type surgeries have quite a few staff and it's these who have a minefield of information. Worth a try.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Some breeders rehome their older dogs if they no longer have the time to give them as much attention once they're working with the next generation. So it might be worth getting in touch with a breed club up in Scotland and seeing if they will put you in touch with a couple of breeders to ask if you can be considered if they're rehoming any older dogs. I know someone who does this in Surrey so not much help, lovely dogs and a lovely lady who breeds, shows, works and trains dogs, and when one gets too old to continue she has a long list of people waiting to rehome them for her. She stays in touch with them and makes sure they're in good hands but it means she can then focus on the younger dogs that she works with, and also on training with others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my honest opinion, a home bred dog for a pet. The sentence ' Some breeders rehome their older dogs if they no longer have the time to give them as much attention once they're working with the next generation ' is so much like puppy farming. Nasty business.

·
Administrator
21,598 Posts
In my honest opinion, a home bred dog for a pet.
What is a home bred dog? Many show and working breeders pups are bred in the home. So many pet people have absolutely no knowledge of pedigrees and what problems the dogs in a pedigree might bring forward. So many have no knowledge of health testing, or what the test results mean even if the do test. Often the only criteria when looking for a stud dog is that it is local. A well bred puppy from a knowledgeable breeder can sway the chances of a healthy puppy with a good temperament in your favour. I freely admit to being a pedigree buff. I know the health tests and what they mean, temperament and appearance of many of the dogs in the average pedigree.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
In my honest opinion, a home bred dog for a pet. The sentence ' Some breeders rehome their older dogs if they no longer have the time to give them as much attention once they're working with the next generation ' is so much like puppy farming. Nasty business.
I don't agree I'm afraid, although I'll be unlikely to rehome any of my girls as I don't have as many as some breeders, some do rehome because it is the best thing for their dog(s). If you have 15 dogs and cannot possibly hope to give five of them the attention they need but keep them for the sake of it, that's cruel. If you rehome the ones that are older and don't get to go out working or competing any more, make sure they go to a good home where they will get the attention they need, and keep in touch to ensure the dog(s) are happy, that's a much better outcome for the dogs. Puppy farmers generally don't give a [email protected] where their pups end up, they don't all sell on older dogs, sometimes they are dumped, sometimes handed to a rescue to do the rehoming for them. They don't health test for the most part and they certainly haven't contributed several decades of fantastic breeding lines to the Labrador gene pool as has the person I'm talking about in my reply to the OP.

I've heard of dogs being rehomed for good reasons, and plenty of bad, but the primary decider is what is best for the dog. I often think I might have been selfish keeping my old girl, I've got plenty of options for others having her in a quieter household than the much busier one with my other dogs, who often bump into her and sometimes hurt her accidentally when doing so. But she is very much my girl, has always been a mummy's girl and so I wouldn't ever part with her, or any of my girls for that matter, as I said, I've not got the numbers and am unlikely to have such numbers that it's something I'd have to consider. But then I'm just a relative newbie to dog owning and breeding, what I don't like is a breeder who says one thing and then does another, say they rehome responsibly but don't.

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
Crikey that’s rich coming from someone who bred from their bitch because she’s a lovely dog with a male from up the road!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts