Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I read a thread recently about how to teach the difference between 'stay' and 'wait', but I can't find it. Please can anyone either let me have the link to the thread or give some suggestions?

Molly (6 months old) is starting to do quite a good 'stay', in that she will sit while I walk away and remain until I walk back (I'm up to about 45 seconds), even out and about with some low-level distractions (sadly not dead seagulls!) However at training classes we have to do a 'wait' when she has to stay while I walk away but then come when I call. Several other puppies anticipated the call to come, whereas Molly just sat there and wouldn't budge when I called. I could almost see her thinking, 'Oh no you don't fool me, I know I only get my slice of ham if I stay put!'

Training tips gratefully received. Thanks.

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
Molly just sat there and wouldn't budge when I called. I could almost see her thinking, 'Oh no you don't fool me, I know I only get my slice of ham if I stay put!'
This can be so frustrating, but you cant tell her off because she really thinks she's being good!

My Mandy was another like that. The secret is to make the two exercises as different as possible. Use different commands, stand differently, everything different.

As to commands, I used "Stay" for stay and "Wait" for recall.

Hand signals, Flat of the hand for stay and one finger moved across the muzzle for recall.

Deportment, Arms folded for stays and hands by my side for recalls.

You find that as training progresses dogs work to smaller and smaller signs, not needing the exaggerated signals we use, in fact they pickup on our body language to the extent that often no commands are needed!

Try to use the exercises in normal day to day situations, such as when clearing the house up. My dogs all learn distance control hand signals whilst I'm vacuuming the floor.

Regards, John

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I have a gundog so steady that he can sit on the start line at an agility competition with me jumping up and down excitedly shouting all sorts at him to move/recall towards me... I sometimes get a tail wag for my efforts!!! Love 'im!!

I've learnt to leave him in a stand, walk away whilst saying Reaaaady, reeeeaadddy, rrrreeeaaaady and then Goooooooo!!! so he launches! Sit so definitely means Sit and Stay to my Tucker!!! Luna on the other hand..... ;-)

Thankfully, he doesn't tend to mix up Stay and Recall in obedience/gundog environment so maybe I am subconciously using signals like those John describes!

·
Registered
167 Posts
See from day one I've been teaching 'wait' as in hold it and don't cross that untill I tell you otherwise such as getting his Dinner, going out doors and the car boot.

I haven't introduced the word 'stay' and I've tried to go along the lines if Sit-stay or Down-stay and don't move untill I come back to you. This isn't really working all that well to be honest.

With Recall I don't know if I could Wait or not ???

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Some people say that stay and wait should mean the same thing, so therefore you should decide which one of these you are going to use and not mix the two.

Personally I have always used both but for my dogs I use them in slightly different contexts. STAY is in a sit or down and means stay there and don't budge until I tell you to and tends to be longer. WAIT is more temporary and is usually in a standing position, so it might be said on a walk to hold them until I have caught up with them.

Chloe

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I use the command 'Wait' for both actions and I expect Tatze to wait to see the end result - me go to her or call her to me. It seems to work well.

I use 'Stay' for 'I'm going out/upstairs/into the other room and expect you to wait in here.' She has to stay in the room then and wait for me but doesn't stick to one bit of the room, if you see what I mean.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We're in a follow-on puppy class, intended to lead eventually to KC bronze, and have been practising both for that. I have started to do what John suggested - different words and hand signals, also different tone of voice - so will see how we go.

Because I'm now semi-retired, I seem to be spending more time on a 'formal' education for Molly than I did with previous dogs. For them 'stay' was simply a practical thing - 'wait in this general area until I get back', a bit like Boogs has said.

Some days I feel we're doing really well and I start to think of possible gundog classes or more advanced obedience, and then we have dreadful 'no I won't leave this dead seagull / rat/ mole/ fox' times when I feel I haven't achieved anything.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Don't let a dead seagull prevent you going to gundog classes or obedience - I've never found a dead seagull attending a class :wink:

My duo have got a mountain of rosettes for agility, are gold and silver good citizens, have spent hours sitting steady-ish at gundog training classes, heeled miles at obedience classes and are venturing into the world of rally o competing all whilst still blanking me completely when it comes to either munching or rolling in yukky stuff!!! :)

Don't be put off having fun mixing with similar-minded dog people and lovely dogs at classes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts