Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, We are new to the site and I would really appreciate a little advice. My gorgeous black lab Dylan is now 5 months old and on Thursday I found a big hard lump on the back of his neck, so I took him straight to the vets on Thursay evening and they had him booked straight in for Friday morning to have it removed. It came as a great shock as the lump literally appeared over night. But the vet made one comment and it was that labs were prone to lumps!!! Did she mean fatty lumps??? Can anybody tell what these lumps are that they are supposed to be prone to? Any advice would be most welcome.

Kerry and Dylan

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
I have owned Labs for many years and in my experience I do not think they are any more prone to lumps than any other breed.
I have occassionally had a dog with a lump in the neck, but that was due to the Vet giving him an injection, and that was what we call a haematoma,which is a collection of blood forming a lump and sometimes causes an abscess.

Please let us know what the cause of this was and whether the vet sent it for histology all the best Meg

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi kerry,

My dog has no lumps, but my mum is looking after one and it has loads all over the place! On its tummy, legs and back they don't seem to bother her. No idea what they are or what causes them (sorry i'm not much help). A lot of the lab i've come across do have lumps. Let me know how you get on at the vets. My mum has been worried about the dog she is looking after as one lump seems to be getting bigger! :?

cristina (& ben)

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
My old lab Ben had a couple of lumps, the vet did some tests,taking fluid out if i remember rightly but it all came back clear, he had already said labs were prone to fatty tissue anyway,so he would just measure them occassionaly and leave them alone.I have known lots of labs with lumps which like my old lad's were never any bother,but it's better to be sure.Hope everything goes ok,Take care,Lynne & Dylan.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You

Hi Meg,
Thank you for replying so soon. The vet is going to do a biopsy and it will take 4-5 days to get the results back, so as soon as I find out I will let you know. A friend of mine said that she thought it was older dogs that developed fatty lumps not puppies, how she worked that out I don't know, but I'm just keeping my fingers and toes and everything that is possible to cross crossed!. Take Care, speak to you soon.
Kerry and Dylan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You

Hi Cristina,
You say "sorry not much help", but believe me what you have told me has been of help to me. I am a natural born worrier, so I get a puppy with a lump and I'm worried sick. I never look on the bright side of things always the bad side. So you say a lot of lab's that you have come across have had lumps, I'm now beginning to think maybe it is just a fatty lump and trying to be positive instead of negative all the time. The vet has sent the tissue for a biopsy and I will know more in 4-5 days time, so I will let you know how we get on. Thanks again. take Care Kerry and Dylan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Hello Lynne
Thank you for replying, a couple of people that I have spoken to today have all mentioned "fatty Lumps" So I am starting to look on the more positive side of things instead of being negative all of the time. Will know for sure in a few days time so keeping my fingers crossed!! Take Care. Kerry and Dylan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts