Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Folks,

First of all I'd like to say what a wonderful resource this site is for anyone that owns or would consider owning a Lab.

Now to my plea, I have had dogs all of my life, my first being a big black Lab when I was little boy running around on my dads farm. Since then I said I was gonna get my own when I was old enough and I was going to be a trainer. Well I had Spaniels for a good few years during my later schooling and on into college, then when I met my Partner a little over 5 years ago, We decided to get a Chocolate lab Pup!! That Pup was named Purdy and went everywhere with me, I trained her and she was picking up shot game at only 6 months old, She was and is a superb dog and I love her like I would a child.
However, recently my partner and I split up, somehow she managed to take both of our dogs, Purdy, mine and one of Purdys first pups Willow who is now 2yrs old.
My partner although she lives in a spare room with someone she hardly knows and is now working all day most days, is not willing to relinquish Purdy back to me and now she has cut off all contact.

Although I could never hope to replace Purdy and I'll never forget her as long as I live, I miss haveing a dog and I do need a dog for working out in the field. So I'm looking for a new Lab, Black or Chocolate, Bitch or Dog and 8months - 1yr +. The only real requirement I have of the dog is to be out going temprement and not timmid or gun shy!! I would happily consider older dogs dependent upon temprement and pria level of training.
I could go and buy a dog but I believe that there are probably plenty of perfectly capable dogs out there that are paying for some one elses mistakes and need a loving home an a active enjoyable life!!

If anyone knows of or hears of any Lab that could fit my request, I'd be extremely greatful if you would contact me and let me know the details.
I am of course searching all over the place and if I find my Lab I'lllet you know!!

Thanks to everyone that spends the time to read my message,

All the very best,

Chris

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
First of all you do not say where you are living.!!! There are a few Labrador Rescues dotted over the country, but most will want to do a home check. although there are a lot of Labradors needing re-homing for all sorts of reasons, it may not be possible to obtain one who will fit your requiements, but you never know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya Megaloo,

Soz about that, silly me is never very good at these things!! Yeh I failed to mention that I live in the North West and yes I have been intouch with the NorthWest Lab Rescue.
I do understand that in most cases a home check is required and I have no problem what so ever with that, as I have mentioned, I have had dogs for many years in all my locals and for the last 4 yrs I have kept and trained Labs.
Infact, we Where registered breeders, but like i said, I would rather give a rescue dog a chance than simply go buy another dog.
One thing that kinda upset me lately was a reply that I had from one rescue group that implied that I was simply after a cheap gundog and that thier dogs where pets!!??

I have friends that have had both rescue Springers, Flatcoats, Cockers, Golden Retrivers and I know of two labs, these dogs all work quite happily and I have even helped a friend train a average x breed mut to retrieve and work in the field when he gose out after pigeons.

Of course the dog I seek would preferably be a youngster and not be timid attall for odvious reasons, but I don't simply want the dog to work, it's the companionship both at home and out in the feild that Labs offer that means the most to me.

Thanks for your reply and all the very best,

Chris

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Chris
Hope you find your lab.
Please don't be upset by the rescue, they can be very protective of their charges :) I help with a lab rescue and you'd probably be surprised by the requests and stipulations some people have. We try to match the right dog with the new owners requirements (dogs needs taking a priority) and most people are fine, but some do think that if they get a rescue they will get a toilet trained, obedience trained, loving adult dog :roll: - not saying you are, but they may have thought that and been a bit overprotective.
I don't know if anyone on this forum helps with lab rescue Northwest, but I believe they have had dogs that have gone on to work, and some have been tried out as sniffer dogs etc. It really does depend on the individual dog.
Another place to try may be www.dogpages.org.uk
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
:)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Chris
I did send another reply but obviously clicked the wrong button.
I do not know which Rescue you tried in the North West there are two, one is called North West Labrader ~Rescue which is run by Glenys Fryer 01254 207660 the other one is North West Labrador Retriever CLUB rescue Tel Mrs Thornton 01204 411247 There is also Labrador Welfare which may cover you K. Davis is the Chairman and tel 01405 766753 hope this helps good luck

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Chris,

Welcome to Labforums, i'm sorry to hear about you having to part with your labs - i'm sure that there is a lab just waiting to become part of your life, and i wish you all the best with your search.

Don't forget to keep us posted on how you get on.

Bye for now,

Julie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hiya Again Folks,

Thanx again to all of you fro taking the time to read and reply to my posts!!

May I just point out to save any confussion that the disconcerting reply I had was NOT from the Northwest Labs Rescue, the centre that sent it shall remain nameless and as one of you pointed out, they probably had thier reasons.
I hold no grudges as I have the upmost respect for all involved with all rescue work and understand that they are very attached to the animals they care for.

As for the expectations possible foster homes put forward for the dogs they wish to obtain, I can well imagine that some range into the near impossible to meet!!
I have few expectations, infact the blanker that canvas comes to me in most cases the better.
Of course a younger and ralatively fit dog is preferable and timmid is simply not an option. However, please don't think I'm after a field trial winner of some sort.
All I want is a useful companion both at home and out in the feild.

Thanks again folks for all your replys,
All the very best,

Chris .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts