Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
We lost Kia, our lovely yellow Lab around 5 years ago, when she was just a few days short of her 15th birthday. Doesn't it break your heart when you lose your pet?

Jill and I are now at the point of looking for another yellow Lab bitch. We're just a few miles north of York, and hopefully we'll find a pup that's reasonably local to us. There seems to be plenty of black or Fox Red Lab puppies locally, but not quite so many yellow Labs though.

I've seen an advert on the freeads website and they have some photos of their puppies, some Fox Red, some Yellow. I've yet to hear back from my email, asking about availability, so nothing may come of this.

I've attached a selection of the advertisers photos, would you say that the puppies look fairly healthy and in proportion?

If you click on the photo, it should take you to the larger image.

5 stunning fox red and yellow bitches available from excellent pedigree parents. Kc registered with 5 weeks free insurance. Currently 10 weeks old and ready to go to loving homes now

Many thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm sure others will be along to tell you the same, but I would avoid adverts for dogs available right now and ready to go today. Where have they come from? What is their breeding?

As a minimum you will want to see both parents hip and elbow tested and with a current clear eye certificate. I personally wouldn't buy a pup unless at least one parent had been tested clear for PRA, EIC and CNM.

There are very few adverts on the freeads page for puppies from health tested parents, but they are there. I wouldn't buy the puppy without seeing the paperwork and checking for validity on mykc.

Champdogs is a far better web site to use, but is more likely to entail a waiting list.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure others will be along to tell you the same, but I would avoid adverts for dogs available right now and ready to go today. Where have they come from? What is their breeding?

As a minimum you will want to see both parents hip and elbow tested and with a current clear eye certificate. I personally wouldn't buy a pup unless at least one parent had been tested clear for PRA, EIC and CNM.

There are very few adverts on the freeads page for puppies from health tested parents, but they are there. I wouldn't buy the puppy without seeing the paperwork and checking for validity on mykc.

Champdogs is a far better web site to use, but is more likely to entail a waiting list.

Thanks Mourne,

I've just sent another email, asking for a copy of the health checks etc. I haven't had a reply to my earlier email yet.

I'm keeping an eye on Champdogs too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
And looking further at Simply Labradors’ website, they’re hoping for new puppies this summer as well as just starting to train two up. A good time for you to enquire

Please note: i have no links with Simply Labradors, I know of them through good links from getting my own labrador off a different breeder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And looking further at Simply Labradors’ website, they’re hoping for new puppies this summer as well as just starting to train two up. A good time for you to enquire

Please note: i have no links with Simply Labradors, I know of them through good links from getting my own labrador off a different breeder.

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look! :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Tarnedge are in your neck of the woods, look them up on champdogs or facebook. Fully health tested working line labs, doing quite well in recent tests too. When I'm ready for another lab in a good few years time I'll be definitely looking at them! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We're still trying to find the right puppy.

There are some fairly locally, the sire has been health checked, but the dam hasn't been. Both dogs have a good pedigree, but I have concerns that the dam has no health records. Would you consider a pup in this situation?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Andy, I personally would not consider it, and I'm pretty sure the majority of peeps on here wouldn't either. My advice is to hang off and the right litter/puppy will become available. I also look on mykc.org for the health test summary of what is behind the litter for 3 generations health wise. Have you looked on champdogs.co.uk? You can ask to receive e-mails on any litters just advertised. The KC 'Find A Puppy' service also sends you messages of any recently advertised litters if you sign up. Look for those breeders who are members of the ABS, as their dogs have to be health tested before they can join. Not saying that there are those who are not a member that do not health test, but it is defo worth doing your homework and not just rely on what certain breeders say has been done health test wise. Good luck :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Even on Champdogs you will see litters advertised where the dam has had minimal health checks, obviously health checks aren’t a 100% guarantee but will greatly improve the odds, I’ve been looking for pup for twelve months now, pleased to say I’ve found one which we will be picking up in around a month.
Good luck with your search

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This puppy searching can be quite frustrating.
I've found some more pups not that far from us, the parents are health checked and have good hip scores. One at 3/5 and one at 2/2, good eye results too.
The remaining pups are 9 weeks old and haven't had any vaccinations though. My concern though is that later this week, we're going to be dog sitting our future daughter-in-law's Cavalier.

Also, one of the parents is an SD2 carrier. The advertiser has been very upfront about this and it's mentioned in the advert. From what I can see, this shouldn't be an issue, as long as we don't ever breed with another dog carrying the same gene?

I'd appreciate your views on the vaccination and SD2 issues.

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
Personally I would get the pup vaccinated as soon as possible after bringing him/her home. He's old enough now that it can be done straight away. Providing the CKCS is vaccinated then you would be very unlucky to ever have a problem. Those of us who have more than one dog have this every time we buy a puppy.

SD2 is carried as a recessive gene, so if only on one side then the pup will never have a problem, even though he/she might also be a carrier. So it's nothing at all to worry about. If you ever intend breeding then I would DNA test before starting to look for a partner, then if it is a carrier simply make sure you are using a dog tested clear.

John :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Personally I would get the pup vaccinated as soon as possible after bringing him/her home. He's old enough now that it can be done straight away. Providing the CKCS is vaccinated then you would be very unlucky to ever have a problem. Those of us who have more than one dog have this every time we buy a puppy.

SD2 is carried as a recessive gene, so if only on one side then the pup will never have a problem, even though he/she might also be a carrier. So it's nothing at all to worry about. If you ever intend breeding then I would DNA test before starting to look for a partner, then if it is a carrier simply make sure you are using a dog tested clear.

John, thanks for that. We're now waiting to hear the the Cavalier is vaccinated. I expect that she is.

Purely out of curiosity, I've been looking up some other breeders dogs on MYKC, there's a surprsing number of them that only have minimal health check results. It's a bit of a minefield.

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
I've been looking up some other breeders dogs on MYKC, there's a surprsing number of them that only have minimal health check results.
Oh yes, it is. And we all have our own ideas on what "Fully Health tested" means. As an illustration, at present, that I know of we have a grand total of 22 separate DNA tests alone. Say £50 a time that's something like £1100 on DNA tests alone. Add hips and elbows at around £500 plus around £50 for eye test and you are looking at big money. Stud fees say £400 and if you have a stud dog you would need to sire at least 4 litters to break even. Also you would decimate the gene pool because most dogs would carry something, just like most humans carry something.

So at what point do you stop the testing? What are your minimum requirements?? Well for a start most of the DNA tests are for conditions so rare that they can reasonably safely be left as diagnostic tools for vets. Often breeders fixate on conditions which they have personal experience of. I for example once owned an Epileptic bitch and were there a test for epilepsy (which there is not) I think it would be top of my own personal list. As it is, I want to see Hips, Elbows and Eyes tested, and DNA tests for at least one side for PRA, CNM and EIC. I would like to see SD2 tested for on one side, but it's lower on my list of priorities because it is not linked to any serious health problems that we are aware of. That's my own shopping list when I look for a puppy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts