Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent farrrrrrr too long looking at Sherbet's lineage this morning (procrastinating instead of working, oops) and figured I should post in case there's any shared grandparents or great grandparents or anyone (John - you seem to know everybody!) knows more about them?

Sherbet's sire is Patanavac Mint, who apparently gets about a bit if the number of litters are anything to go by :LOL:
Looks to have been originally owned by John Cavana but now by someone else.

Dam is Frankie's Friend: Dog Profile | The Kennel Club

Any distant relatives on here? :)

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
John Cavana does a lot of gundog demos at game fairs around the country. A couple of years or so ago he did one at Thame Show, and after came to my house for a chat. Nice fella. :)

Solid working pedigree on both sides, including several Retriever Championship winners! Mint is related to my Chloe through David Latham's Mediterian Blue, who is Chloe's grandsire. And Frankie's Friend through John and Sandra Halstead's Aughacasla Sam of Drakeshead, who was my Amy's Great Grandsire.

There are literally no show dogs in the first 10 generations, though Eastdale Harry, sire of Mint, could have held his own in the ring. He was often used by people wanting to improve the looks of their working dogs. His sire, Viper, was bred by Carol Clarke and owned by John Halstead. If you go back 5 generations from Viper you get to Sandringham Magpie, Sandringham being the affix of HM The Queen. At that time The Queen's dog man was Bill Meldrew, assisted my a then young Ian Christie. Sadly Bill Meldrum is no longer around, but Ian is and still breeding Labradors under the Squareclose affix. On Mint's 8th line is a dog Hedenhampark Holcot Fay. She was famous for not only winning the International Gundog League Retriever Championship twice, in 1973 and 74 for Frank Clitheroe but also was tha dam of Hedenhampark Dash of Philray who again won the Championship in 1976! Another Championship winner on he 6th line of Mint's pedigree was Alan Thornton's Tasco Dancing Brave of Willowyck. (Dancing Brave was bred by the late Alan and Mary Rountree in Ireland.) So many famous dogs there that I cant mention them all. George Ridley's Shadowbrae dogs in Scotland, Anne Courtier's Endacott dogs, (Anne is a friend of mine.) Bill Forbes Dargdaffin dogs. I could go on for ever! Holdgate Willie, Championship winner for Mrs Benson in 1971.

But then we come to Frankie's Friend. Many dogs from the same kennels. I mentioned Aughacasla Sam of Drakeshead, he had a reputation of passing on his good working genes. (Certainly my Amy inherited them though I say so myself!) Willowyck Ruff, bred and trialed by Tess Lawrence, another Championship winner! Yet another Championship winner was Dave Garbutt's Pocklea Remus, a very well used stud dog. I could go on for ever!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's absolutely fantastic John, thank you so much. So fascinating to trace it back and hear the stories of the dogs up the tree, so to speak. I really appreciate it - thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts