Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

Newbie to this site and labrador owing in general.

We have a 15 week old choc puppy whom we got 3 weeks ago. This pup has been a angel in every sense. Toliet trained in 2 days, very loving and very obedient. Slept everynight in his bed without a whimper.

This weekend we took him away to Wales with our friends and their two older labs ( 3yr old male choc and 6 year old female golden) - everyone got on like a house on fire - and little Bailey took to Big bailey (weird I know two dogs same name!) extremely well and had great fun together.

We brought him home last night and he would not settle - whimpered most of the night and wandered around looking really sad. :cry:

I'm now starting to think that it's cruel to keep him as a single dog and that he needs another dog for company. He's never left in the house for any more than 10 mins and gets loads of attention from humans.

What does everyone else think? Have i got a dog that needs other dogs for company? Or is it just a holiday blues thing?? Do labs do ok on their own or is it best to keep them in pairs? :?

Any advice would be gratefully received. I'll post a picture up of all three together.

Thanks
Doghome4u

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

I expect that Bailey just needs to get back into his everyday routine, my dog Ben see other dogs alot and does miss them when they are gone, but with in a short space of time he is soon back to his normal troublesome self! :lol: Being so young I expect it is a bit confusing for him, just give him time and try to stick to his usual daily routine and he should get back to normal soon. Good luck. :D

Cristina

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi doghome4u
Welcome to the forum
Although dogs do love the company of other dogs, it is certainly not cruel to keep an only dog. He needs your company first and foremost. If you want another dog, wait until he is older and trainer to the level you want and then introduce another, but only because you want one, not to keep him company. Dogs live in the present and as much as they sometimes appear to :D , they do not have human emotions, so he will not think it cruel that he does not have a playmate :D

Also remember that two puppies is not just double the work, but the work squared. Your pup is still a baby - he has adolescence to go through yet :D and two pups together, unless carefully monitored can get very overboistrous risking joints too.

It's quite possible that he's just overtired and excited from the weekend and this is why he's finding it hard to settle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your speedy replies!

I'm hoping it's just the upset of his routine that's causing him to be unsettled.

Although Bailey is fantastic I wouldn't even consider another dog until he was over 1 year old. He gets our company 24/7 so I'm hoping we will make up for any playmate he might not have.

Here's hoping Bailey & I manage to get a sleep tonight! :roll: :sleeping:

I Think I worry too much!

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
doghome4u hi :)

although i have 3 dogs myself..lol..2 labs choccy and black and a cavalier king charles
i dont think all dogs need another dog freind at home as you say you only leave him for 10mins so he has you and your family for company and when you take him for walk he will meet and play with other dogs :) :)think of it this way 2 dogs double the doggy doo mess..LOL..LOL..thats the worst job i think..lol..

so dont worry to much about it

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi there and welcome to Lab Forums!

We took our little Smudge up to family in West Yorkshire this weekend. On Sunday, he had loads of people around the house (he normally only sees Chris and I) and he had a wonderful time. That evening and the following morning, he seemed to find it quite difficult to settle and walked around whimpering a bit - I'm sure he was just missing all the attention!

Back home today and he's back to his normal self!

All the best to you and of course Bailey - look forward to hearing all about him!

Nicola.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your help!

Bailey has settled down and I'm now getting some sleep!

In fact he's gone back to being a lazy puppy again - which we discourage by amusing him in overkill!

Were off on our holidays next week - with Bailey - so I've no doubt it will distrub his routine again. Better stock up on the pro-plus!
:sleeping:
Thanks Everyone
Doghome4u x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts