Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its a nice sunny, frosty morning and I think to myself why not take Cadbury out on his long line and practice his recalls.

We get onto the field, he is a little excited, bounces around a bit, does one reasonable recall then he sees the neighbour's dog which isn't very nice. He jumps to run over and I shorten the long line so he can't, fine. Neighbour walks on.

We start going in the other direction, Cadbury doubles back and CHARGES 8O He gets to the end of the line and KEEPS GOING I am somehow yanked off my feet and the end of the line whizzes out my hand while I plummet face first into frosty grass.

At this point Cadbury possibly realises that mum is down and comes charging back to me, then circles while I realise that aside from pulling me over he has ALSO snapped the metal loop on his collar, so I can't even attach the long line.

I call him over and after a few moments he comes to me and I get my sore and cold hand under his collar. I had to tie the long line around his collar and then we made the quick trip back home.

Dad was there also, but his sole contribution to the incident was "I think he's snapped his collar."

So we are back home, Cadbury has destroyed collar number 7 and my hand is slightly swollen and it hurts to bend my fingers, never mind the friction burns from the bloody nylon long line.

ARGGGGGHHHH I HATE LONG LINES :cry:

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
oh no Sophie, :(

Jack did this to me once, after spotting a few pigeons on the grass :roll:

I did manage to keep hold of the lead but i almost fell to the ground as we ran out of the long lead!! :?

Tracey
x

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long lines are the worst invention EVER!!! Especially when the person holding onto the end is a small woman wearing welly boots on frosty ground :(

Whoever created them didn't think about MOMENTUM!

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Ouch that sounds a sore one and I hope you are OK :?: :)

Maybe worth investing in a leather long line, your boy does cost you a fortune doesn't he :?

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Might be worth posting to see if anyone has one to sell, be a lot cheaper best invest in some leather gloves too, should save you hand being hurt again :)

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
oh Sophie that sounds sore, sure you havent done more damage to your hand ? Never been pulled over with a long line, but have got in the way of charging dogs and had my legs taken from under me and ended up in a pile. Totally undignified.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My fingers seem to be recovering, if a bit stiff, but there is a bit on my hand near my thumb that is really sore. Hurts if I move it or touch it. I thought it was going to be a friction burn, but now I'm wondering if a muscle has been hurt?

Don't know, don't think its seriously, thankfully.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Nasty Sophie, do you take Cadbury to classes?, a good trainer will be able to teach you how to teach him and hopefully improve his urge to run after other dogs and distraction while your out.

If the hand doesn`t improve by tomorrow I`d take a trip to A&E just to be on the safe side :)

S

·
0 Posts
Oh Sophie that sounds sore...hope your hand feels better soon xx

I had my hands friction burned a few times with a long line till someone told me the idea was to stand on it :oops:

?

·
0 Posts
Get yourself some leather or suitably thick gloves and tie some knots in your long line, so you have something to stop the line from running straight through your hands. I hope you suitably berated him for yanking you so hard, what a naughty boy.....I can't believe he has broken 7 collars either 8O .

I would get him a chain collar, not a full check chain (or else he'll decapitate himself if he does that again) but a half check and I would make sure he fully understood that ALL pulling is out of the question, as not only is it dangerous to you, it won't do his neck any good in the long run.

I hope your hand feels better later, as it sounds painful. X

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mary, yes we do attend classes, we start again on the 5th. It was a previous trainer that recommended a long line for recall work and I have to say normally we don't have a problem - he gets to the end and stops, I also usually do stand on it, but he caught me by surprise today.

Jules I am considering a half-check as this is getting ridiculous, he's snapped harnesses as well - he's been walking on the lead better since I switched to a head collar, but on a flat collar he is a nightmare and the stupid thing is I have been constantly working on his lead walking for months and months.

Dad pointed out afterwards that despite everything he actually recalled really well when he was off the line and that maybe I worry too much. Silver lining I suppose.

Di I am in north Suffolk - nearer Norwich than Ipswich, if that means anything to you :D

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot to say Jules that despite wanting to strangle him I very calmly got to my feet and called him over as I knew if I shouted he would never come back.

Saying that, he knew something was up because we marched straight home and he sat in the kitchen looking very miserable.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking at his collar again, the leather is unscathed he actually snapped the metal D-loop that you clip a lead to 8O

I start to think my dog was cross-bred with a cart horse!

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Oh Sophie - poor you! I hope the hand starts to feel better soon, but would agree with Mary, if its no better in the morning just have it looked at to be on the safe side, you don;t want to run the risk of an undiagnosed break....and yes it can happen, I worked with someone once who managed to break her leg and walk on it for three months before deciding to see a DR!!!!!

The metal ring breaking could have been due to faulty manufacture - Neo broke one on a webbing collar once - he was only little and hadn't really pulled very hard but there we were on a main road with a pup and a broken collar and no means of attaching a lead.... 8O 8O

But as you say there are some great positives in that incident - he didn;t totally let you down!

Hope you feel better soon

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Eve, I'll keep an eye on the old hand.

Little blighter came charging straight back when he saw me lying flat on my face, then once he realised I was OK he bounced off again!

To be honest, the only thing he really fails at is walking on the lead (or long line), he does other stuff so nicely, he will even wait in the car and not jump out until I give him a command. So I can't really complain.

He's been worse with Christmas, I think he's all out of routine and that is making him more excitable and boisterous than normal. And he is just so headstrong sometimes!

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Was it a retractor lead? If you must use one do switch to a non retracting one, safer for everyone.

I'm really not a fan of long leads, to me a dog should be learning to walk nicely on a short lead or learning not to roam too far off leash - but I do appreciate that's easier said than done sometimes.

What about a long nylon line that you can leave trailling? Then you step on it as Sheens says? :)

I hope your hand heals quickly and like you say he wasn't a naughty boy as he did come back, it was just the leash getting in the way.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sarah it was a trailing nylon line, I only use it when I want to brush up on his recall as advised by my trainer. As we had only just started I had the end looped on my wrist.

I dread to think of Cadbury on a retractable lead 8O He could take out the whole neighbourhood! I use an ordinary lead when practicing lead walking, no worries :D

Thing is Cadbury's recall is OK these days, but sometimes he does stop paying attention so I just thought brush up on it while we have the time so its well in his head. I don't know if I'll ever dare use a long line again.

I've been told Cadbury's recall isn't the problem, its my confidence in Cadbury's recall that's the issue.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts