Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Our daughter moved to London in July and we are hoping to visit for a weekend in November.
I am very torn over what to do as Stanley will be coming up for 11months. I really want to take him with us and get a dog friendly hotel (our daughter lives in a house share) but I am unsure if London is the best place for a pup of that age.
He is a typical young lab pup in that he has lots of energy and wants to be involved in most things. He does settle if we take him out with us but is very easily distracted. He will be great in the parks but any pavement walking might be an issue as his heel work is coming on but not perfect when he gets distracted.
I have been thinking about a dog sitter or a friend recommended petstay where your dog is placed with a family whilst you’re away. Do any of you have any experience of using these types of services? We are in West Yorkshire if you have any recommendations.
My hubby and I are considering visiting our daughter separately to resolve it but I thought I’d ask for your advice and experiences. Sorry for such a long post! Thanks for reading.
Lisa

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
Only you know what you can manage. Maybe using the intervening time to brush up pavement walking? In my younger days my dogs always came on holiday with us. Mandy was the youngest, only weeks old when we went on holiday to Scotland. OK, in her case it took a little forward planning, not to overdo it with her. But as to leaving Stanley, I really have very little experience in that regard. I only once needed to leave any of mine once, and that was only for a weekend when going to my sister's youngest's wedding. It was a hot summer so it did not seem wise to take them with us. When my sister's oldest got married it was cooler weather, so we booked in at a "Little Chief Lodge" over night and the dogs slept in the back of my car. It was a 500 mile round trip so we went up the day before, and drove home straight after the reception.

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
Or you could use it as an opportunity to get him used to being away from you but in a new environment. Best thing I ever did was getting my boy used to going for a short stay in a kennel from a very young age. Now he goes for a few days once every three months and if my girl is in season. Gives him a break, gives me and the girls a break (he can be a handful) 🤣🤣

Reactions: Lisa&Stanley

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
London isn't always the hell hole of hustle and bustle people think it is! All depends what part.
At the moment, and I stress at the moment, most parts not very busy at all and pavements relatively quiet. This week I went back into my office off of Regents Street twice and I'd say streets only at 20% of normal.
Pre-pandemic I would never even contemplated walking my two up town but I saw a lovely young brown being walked yesterday morning and in the afternoon a Cavapoo who was also a pup and both absolutely fine.

We've taken ours away with us hence all UK based holidays last 13 years. One drawback we've found is our young 'un can't get his head around us being in the same room as him and he doesn't settle at night / early morning. He also feels the need to guard the room when we're in it and barks at anyone going past the door so hotels have become an issue for us.

In respect of a sitter - a fella round the corner from us uses a website that does this all the time when he goes to Sweden and he thinks theyre great.

Whatever you decide Stanley will be fine - there shouldn't be any need for separate visits!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts