Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am slightly concerned about Elphie's legs. I am probably being a silly and DH doesn't think there is anything to be concerned about, but yesterday lunchtime I had to go upstairs very briefly. I heard Elphie faintly whimper and when I went out into the garden she was lying down in the grass. I picked her up and took her inside and put her down again. She whimpered and her front legs crumpled beneath her. :eek: She could barely put any weight on them. I picked her up and she really cuddled into me. I put her down again and her legs were a bit better but she was still limping. After only a few minutes she was again walking perfectly. Now this happened a few weeks ago too, but Sky had run into her and knocked her, and she started to limp for a while.

Of course I didn't see what happened to her yesterday to make her cry, but Sky did sit rather guiltily next to me when I was holding Elphie... :? I can only think that Sky ran into her again.

The point I am trying to get to is is this just a case of her being knocked and hurt or do you think it could be her joints? I just don't want to miss any early signs of anything wrong. It was worrying to see how her legs just buckled beneath her yesterday. I really thought for a moment that she had broken her leg! 8O 8O

Does anyone think this is a concern? Or am I just overreacting?

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
If it was me and i'm no expert i would keep an eye on her and if it happens again then take her to the vet, just for peace of mind.

?

·
0 Posts
The trouble with little pups is when they hurt themselves they can really make a big deal out of it (a bit like when a toddler falls and grazes it's knee). I've lost count how many times I've thought something was about to drop off one of my pups, yet once they've had a little nap they come back as good as new, as if nothing has happened.

To be honest I'd see how she goes today and if she is still showing any odd signs, then pop her along to the vet for your own peace of mind. However chances are she will be fine now and you'll see no reoccurance of the problem.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
_Jules_ said:
The trouble with little pups is when they hurt themselves they can really make a big deal out of it (a bit like when a toddler falls and grazes it's knee)quote]

Ummm funny you should say that Jules as my DH said exactly the same thing. :eek: He told me to pop her back in her crate for a rest too.

She is fine today, and did enjoy a little run on the beach last night too. I think I am just worrying for worrying's sake. Glad to know I am not alone. :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There have been a couple of times when Gillie has knocked his leg running about and gone on three legs for a few steps. Five minutes later he is haring around like a looney again! If it lasted for any length of time I'd get it checked out but I put it down to puppy carelessness

1 - 5 of 5 Posts