Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
harvey has just turned 4 months and for the first time he stared to limp slightly today it was just a normal sat/sunday we had just come back from a 20 min walk in the woods harvey was on an extended lead he had been out 4 hours previous for a 20 min slow walk in the morning he normally has 3 x 20 min walks a day at 6.30am , 12 midday and then lastly at 6.30 pm he seems ok and it doesnt seem to be troubling him he never goes off the lead and running in the garden is restricted to 5-10 mins max maybe he has tweaked something does anyone think i am panicing or not .

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Garycelt
Labs being labs do tend to throw themselves into life, so the odd bump, bruise or strain does happen, so I wouldn't worry too much. Check he hasn't picked up something in his paw - mine often pick up a small thorn. If it is ongoing though, I would go to your vets.
HTH :)

G

·
Limping

Hi, Murphy is round the same age and our vet said that only one walk a day doing 20 mins max as we over exercise our dogs, playing and running in the garden is exercise so you factor that in. Murphy had a limp and we got told off as he fell off the bed the vet said if he limps for longer than a hour you take him in for a X ray. Then Murphy got attacked and broke his foot only then did we realise that our exercise regime of 3 15 min walks was too much, the vet chastised us for over exercise and possible development problems with the breeds knee and hips. So we let him in the garden for pee breaks thats exercise and one little walk before bed of about 10 mins. The vet was cross as Labs should be properly exercised after 10 months for any length about 1 hour and from 6 months to 10 months around 30 minutes a day. Murphy better now with rest I hope yours is not too serious

Penny

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi Gary celt i hope your puppy is on the mend don't worry to much i wouldn't give to much exercise at this age because it could lead to problems later on in live don't let him get to tired he is just a baby my lab sally has leg problems i have just started her on syn flex it is supposed to be very good for their joints if you want to find out more let me know speak soon

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
suzy said:
hi Gary celt i hope your puppy is on the mend don't worry to much i wouldn't give to much exercise at this age because it could lead to problems later on in live don't let him get to tired he is just a baby my lab sally has leg problems i have just started her on syn flex it is supposed to be very good for their joints if you want to find out more let me know speak soon
cheers for the advice ,yes i would like more info on synflex if poss ,harvey is going to the vet today to get checked out he seems fine and its only o slight limp now .i have cut his walks right down and the playball in the house and garden i hope he hasnt done any real damage but lab puppys are quite strong..... gary.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi there

Some good advice from our friends here as normal :)

I'd definitely go to the vet. Our probs with Sasha can only reiterate that. We left her limp for 6 months, only to find she had a cruciate ligament injury coupled with serious arthritus in the knee.

Im not saying that this is what has happened, but for peace of mind I would recommend getting it checked out. Sasha is now due for her 2nd repair and Im glad we checked it all out.

Regards

Anthea & Sasha

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
harvey has been lilping for just over a week now we took him to the vet on wed who checked him over and chk the joints he said there was a strain in the long bone or wrist joint and put harvey on rimadul for a week
harvey was fine letting the vet examine him and he is fine all of the time ,over the last 2 days the limp seems to have gone from right to left front leg. he does nt seem to be in any distress but sonmetimes hes very slow in moving around more like a older dog than a puppy ,i must admit i am getting worried the vet says keep him quiet ,how do you keep a puppy quiet he still wants to play as for the jumping off and on the setteee its hard to stop him sometimes he just flys on and flys off in a second
at the moment he weighs 21kiolos the vet said being on the heavy side could be the problem

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Garycelt,

Thanks for keeping us all updated on Harvey, as it must all understandably be worrying you.

To help with keeping little Harvey from jumping around too much, i would put him in a room which doesn't contain too many jumping games, i.e. a kitchen. As long as he has his toys and his bed he should be fine. You can buy puppy play pens, which may also help you - they have some good ones here http://www.caninekennels.com/~sa_webapp/run.asp?page=3580

With regard to weight, i have just checked Bradleys vet book, and he weighed 14kg at 4 months old. This doesn't necessarily mean that Harvey is overweight, i know all Labs are different sizes and different builds. It may however help you, if you cut down his food a little. Did you vet suggest that at all? I know that when Bradley hit 6 months old he starting putting a few extra pounds on, so we halved his daily food intake. Our vet advised us that the guidelines on his food (Purina Pro Plan) were simply that, a guideline only, and sometimes the recommended daily amount could be a very generous amount. I think it's always best if they are a little under rather than over, weight wise, when they are really young anyway - what with all the running around they do, and occasional health problems that can arise.

Has your vet asked you to take Harvey back to see him again? Did they do any X-rays?

If it was me, i would probably give the vet a call and mention the recent limping in the other leg, see what he says. Also, have you contacted your breeder? They maybe able to help and advise you.

I also found this article when searching for more info: (Might not have anything to do with Harvey's problem, but thought you might like to read it anyway)

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/9911/pano.htm

Try not to worry too much, i know when our Labs are unwell or have a problem, we do worry - but we all care about little Harvey, and i'm sure the problem will right itself, or you will get some more answers soon.

Keep us posted.

Bye for now
Julie

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi garycelt
Sorry to hear Harvey's still limping. Did the vet mentioned panosteitis (growing pains). This can occur in young dogs, and does tend to affect other legs. He's a little on the young side, but his weight may have something to do with it.
It is very important to keep them on the 'light' side. I'm pretty useless at imaging what a certain weight looks like, and dogs do differ, depending on their build etc. but 21kilos at 4 months does seem alot, so definately cut back his food - what do you feed him?
Keeping a four month old puppy quiet is easier said than done :D , and I know I keep saying it but mental exercise is more tiring than physical exercise. Keep practising all your basic training (are you going to classes?), practise sit and stays, any exercises to increase his concentration on you. Keep it short and fun, with lots of praise when he gets it right. You could also hide things around the house that he has to find them.
Clicker training is great at this age.
HTH :D

G

·
Harvey

Sorry that Harvey is still limping, we had difficulty with keeping Murphy quiet we basically did not let him run,jump, walk or play unless it was chewing a bone or doing training, he wanted to jump on the couch we would put his bed in the front room and he went to his bed, we now have to be careful with exercise and not overdoing it which is hard with a pup thats bouncy. We are having the same problem with his weight I can not remeber but he was it was portly the vet said that Labs are prone to weight problems and we cut his food down. We meisure the food 450g Dry a day with treats is ample, we are on BETA, murphy liked meat so we are weaning him off Tesco puppy food which he had about a tin and a bit with mixer a day. I never now what to feed him dry or wet but the vet said it does not matter. i do hope Harvey gets better murphy took about a week before his limp went he had 3 days of rimaldy and antibiotics. Pups heal pretty fast, murphy was X rayed which ruled out development worries. Dont worry love Penny

·
Registered
364 Posts
All this talk of weight made me curious so I weighed my Harvey .. also just over 4 months old .. he is about 21 kilos also but I wouldnt call him overweight, just a big dog for his age!, quite a bit bigger then his sister

My problem now is not only do i now know his weight, but because i weighed him while I was standing on the scales, I also know mine as well! :cry: ... Im sure those scales must be wrong!! :wink:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Max is 18 weeks now and weighs just under 12 kilos... at the other end of the scale is he under weight? He went to the vets on Monday and I asked her if she thought he was a bit of a titch. She said that size wise he was about right and that weight wise he was definitely better off being on the leaner side for the first 12 months than overweight. Having said that he doesn't look underweight and has loads of energy but only gets one 20 minute walk a day... although he does have a habit of running off whenever we let him out for a wee... we have a good sized garden and he knows we can't catch him so he runs as far as possible, gets as muddy as possible and waits for a treat before coming back in..lol!!!

personally i think all puppies are different and as long as your sensible and follow the basic rules i.e. keep to recomended walk times etc then you're doing alll you can.

Best of luck with Harvey's limp, hope he's back to normal asap.

Jen

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi to everyone thanks for all of the replies, harvey went back yesterday to the vet and the limp has gone to the other leg, the vet suspects growing pains the fusioning of the elbow/long bone due to the growth of the bones or plates as he said not growing at the same rate he has advised us to put him on food that has not got many nutrients as he is growing to fast
harvey goes in for an xray tomorrow morning under sedation ,i am sure he will be all right never the less still a worry .Harvey is fine in him self and is playing with a sqeaker as i type still full of beans
i hope it is just growing pains and nothing else he loves being examined his temp and heart were fine and he was well behaved.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
harvey goes in for an xray tomorrow morning under sedation ,i am sure he will be all right never the less still a worry
Wishing you all the best for tomorrow, i think the worst part of illness or injury sometimes is the 'not knowing' so at least tomorrow you should have some answers...i'm sure it will all be ok.

Bye for now

Julie

·
Registered
27 Posts
limmping

hellow gary you must be pulling your hair out at the moment like you said how do you keep a puppy quite its impossible he isnt doing to good is he poor baby :( what did the vet say was the problem i would take him back is he on any medicine let me knowhow he is best of luck suzy

G

·
Limping

Good luck , Murphy had an X ray under sedation and it went fine the vet was amazed how bright he was after he woke up, we got him home and he was a little depressed but once it wore off back to his playful self. It was quite heart rending going home without him and when I saw a paw print on the wooden floor I was tearful. I am glad he had the x ray at it ruled out alot of things. Take care Penny and Murphy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks to all the replies, harvey was in all day yesterday we picked him up at 5pm he was given an anasphetic(spelt wrong) and had 5 xrays done and nothing was abnormal all the bones looked good nothing was found vet said he would like to see harvey in 2 weeks we have put him on a recommended foood by the vet and set his intake at 480g a day with a few spoonfuls of chappie thrown in to mix it up a bit.
vet couldnt really explain the limp ,harvey was very excitable when he got home then crashed for 5 hours after his dinner got up for a wee in the garden then slept thru till 5.15 this morning he awoke very lively this morning but still a slight limp ive just fed him and hes got back on his bed
fingers crossed that the limp will go in time
thanks to everyone for there concern will keep everyone informd.gary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Garycelt
Pleased to hear that Harvey is on the mend.
My pup Jet started to limp and walk awkwardly about 3 weeks ago to which we thought he had banged his leg in the garden, but it got worse by the hour so we took him to our vet who was very concerned and kept him in over night for X Rays.
Went to pick Jet up the next day and was greeted with the vet telling me Jet had the worse Hip Dysplasia he hads ever seen in a dog of 7 months old.
Took Jet home with painkillers and a special diet to keep him lean and no exercise what so ever.
Jet was by the third day pulling himself around by his front legs as he had become lame (ALL THIS HAPPENED WITHIN 5 DAYS ) on the 6th day Jet had a fit caused by the painkillers.
Next day took Jet to the Vets where we made the decision to end his suffering ( Hardest decision I have ever made).
Jets pedigree was excellent and his parents hip score was really good, which goes to prove you never no with this Dysplacia
Anyway at leat Jet is at rest and not suffering and we had him for 7 glorious months were he filled us with happiness every day

Dave Sherratt :cry:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Garycelt,

Very pleased to hear about Harvey, that's really good news. I'm sure it's such a relief for you. All the best, and i hope his limp will improve and eventually disappear.

Regards

Julie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts