Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning! its been a while since I’ve posted but I value the advice from the members here! Apologies for the long post....
So Betty is 14 months and about 4 weeks ago we had a walk out at the beach where she was jumping in and out/over the sand banks - she walked home fine, after a nap she wouldn’t weight bare on her front left leg, I had a good look in between toes, on the pads, had a squeeze up and down her leg to see if I could locate the pain source - nothing. She went to bed in the crate woke up the next morning back to normal no limp, nothing. We rested her for a couple of days however A couple of times since, after her exercise (granted the exercise is running around like a loon) the same thing has happened - not to the extent where she won’t weight bare but a limp, then after rest she’s fine again?
So I’m at a loss as to what to do?
any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Picture attached just because :)

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
Is it always after going on the beach? If so I'm betting it's the sand! I once had a Dalmatian who could not bear the smallest grain of sand between his toes! ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No John it’s not ! We were just in woodland yesterday and then last night after her snooze she was limping again! Fine though today?! I’m going to take her to the river today, give her a swim see if that makes any difference ! Could it be I’m over exercising her ?

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
At 14 months old she should be able to take more exercise than when younger, but she should not be limping. Question, is it always the same leg? How long has it been going on for? For your own piece of mind it might be a good idea to get your vet to ex-ray it for elbow dysplasia.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Always the front left, initially happened 4 weeks ago, but has recurred twice since (she is exercised everyday)
I’ll see how she goes over next couple of days and ring the vet. Thank you

·
Registered
26 Posts
That happened with Poppy when she was that age. It was to the extreme of she would not put weight on it at all. Winters we spend in Florida. Our house is in a 55 age community park and dogs have to be kept on a leach when they're out of your house so this was not exercise related. She spent 5 months only taking her for walks on her leach. A few days later we traveled home and took her to her Vet. They did ex rays and found nothing that would cause this. We didn't let here run in our yard or anything once we were back from Florida. After a 2 month break from no running of walking on a leach she did get better. We have no idea what caused it because the vet wasn't able to find anything to cause this. I hope Betty grows out of this happening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That happened with Poppy when she was that age. It was to the extreme of she would not put weight on it at all. Winters we spend in Florida. Our house is in a 55 age community park and dogs have to be kept on a leach when they're out of your house so this was not exercise related. She spent 5 months only taking her for walks on her leach. A few days later we traveled home and took her to her Vet. They did ex rays and found nothing that would cause this. We didn't let here run in our yard or anything once we were back from Florida. After a 2 month break from no running of walking on a leach she did get better. We have no idea what caused it because the vet wasn't able to find anything to cause this. I hope Betty grows out of this happening.
Thank you for answering, since I’ve posted we’ve taken her on lighter walks where she can swim, (no jumping) and up to now she has been fine x fingers crossed it won’t happen again, today she is happily enjoying the sunshine and her paddling pool

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
you've had excellent advice from LF ❤
Can't add any more except - - Betty looks so happy in her Chad Valley
pool 😀
Bought these five years ago and they are still going strong!! (even had a feet cool off meself 😎 )
Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

1 - 8 of 8 Posts