Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got up this morning to a chewed Zippy bed :evil: which has upset me quite a bit as Lilly has never touched it before and has gone months and months with no issue at all!

She will now have to sleep in her crate with nothing as she has also gone through vet bed before now :( I'm at a loss she was walked, fed, toileted and also had her kong to go to bed with. Absolutely nothing changed in her routine and I make sure she has appropriate chewing items in the day.

It is strange that she has suddenly done this, and I can't even put it down to her teething! I just have no idea what i did wrong!

All I know is that right now I can't afford to replace the base mat in the zippy bed so Lilly is going to have to go without.

I'm gutted, and all this before I have to drive my nan to the hospital for pre operation checks. :cry:

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Sorry to hear that Lilly has chewed her bed.

I can't remember how old she is but think under 1?
I didn't decrate mine until they were about 15 months old and I have never had any problems with chewing. I also have zippy beds with both of mine.

I think a lot if chewing comes about due to boredom. Maybe she just woke early and wanted something to do ? I would put her back in her crate at night for a few months and then see how she is. It may have been a one off but by putting her in the crate at least you will prevent it becoming a habit.

Hope this helps

Chloe

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was in her crate with her zippy :( I just don't get why after 6 months of having it she decided last night. She has always got her kong and gets to chew on various suitable things through the day!

Lilly is 8 months old ATM, and I don't have plans to decorate her at the moment.

I'm just gutted :cry:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ah don't be so gutted... They can do things like that from time to time. Cooper once chewed a whole yoga mat and two magazines to pieces while he was left on his own. It was his normal schedule, he got his kongs as usual, etc... there was no explanation that I could find. He was crated the next day and since then has been fine de-crated.

They are still young and I keep telling myself that until Cooper is 2yo - anything can still happen! And even after that, they will always be dogs with primal animal instincts living in our crazy human world, so who knows what could happen!!!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Could it be that her adult back teeth are hurting her. They settle into place a bit later than the other adult teeth, but I can't remember when?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Of course it's upsetting when a puppy chews something expensive / valuable but I doubt many of us get through puppy-hood without having something damaged. Have you considered using cheap sheets, blankets or even curtains from a charity shop. My pup before last (spaniel) was a real bed chewer so that's what I used.

My last puppy (Lab) chewed the cover of a favourite hard-back book that my Mum had given me. Now that neither he nor Mum are still alive the book is a strangely happy memory of both of them!

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
8 months is the time when most dogs start chewing as their back teeth start coming through. At least it was only her bed she chewed, mine have gone through cushions and sofas as well as all of their beds and they are 3 and 4 years old (well, the 3 year old is the main culprit) :lol:

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
You mention she has things to chew on during the day, but this happened overnight? Does she have appropriate things to chew on overnight, if she wakes up?

It's not great when a dog chews something you've spent money on (been there, numerous times!), but that's part of sharing our lives with most dogs. I wouldn't want to leave a dog in a crate without any bedding though. Do you have some towels you could try her with? It won't be very comfy just lying on a crate tray.

I know things have been rather stressful for you, maybe she's picking up on that. Dogs can be very sensitive souls. Give her a snuggle :grouphuuug:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hudson has chewed 3 beds now, he loves pulling all the stuffing out of it so no longer has a bed but old towels / blankets to sleep on. He has plenty toys but loves destroying a bed. He is only 5 months so maybe one day......a year or so he can have a new bed!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah she always has a nylabone and kong to chew at night, without fail. She has a small amount of vet bed left that I will put in the crate, but yeah I'm far too stressed for my own good!

It isn't taking much to upset me these days, just not feeling great. Maybe she is picking up on that I don't know. Apparently we had a major storm in the night, I didn't hear it as I was sooo tired from not sleeping I was out cold! That might have caused it I just don't know. I contacted Zippy and it will cost £15 to replace the destroyed part, but that will have to wait a few weeks, or until I get a job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts