Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking Cass to the vets this afternoon for her botty problems the newly qualified vet immediately started on us about her weight. She is just 1 years old and weighs 31kg. That means she has put on 1kg since February when she was spayed.

She is on Luaths Chicken & Rice and has 150g of it a day split into two meals with veg added into her evening meal. (Luaths is basically the same as Burns - same family). Anyway, I have been looking at different foods and wonder if anyone has ever fed their Lab on something like JWB Light dried food or Burns Weight Control food. The reviews on Amazon are very good for both but I wonder if Cass is too young for this type of product yet.

She gets a bonio for lunch and when I go out to work in the mornings she gets a filled Kong, often a mix of frozen yogurt, fruit and cereal or sometimes dog biscuits with carrot and apple.

I really don't want to deprive her of all her goodies in life but at the same time do not want a real porker on my hands. Actually I am quite surpised she hasn't lost weight as now the boys are home she has company all day long by at least one of them, and has free run of the garden, is taken out for a nice long walk in the day, and often again in the evening plus lots of play in between. The vet did say that Labs really don't need much to eat (much to their disappointment).

Anyway, what do you all think of the light foods?

·
Administrator
20,490 Posts
No need for special diets. Just as good, feed less of your normal food and bulk it out with greens. They get little or no food value out of greens, so it fills them up, making them feel well fed, when in fact they are getting far less actual food.

Regards, John

PS, some dogs can get quite windy when given cabbage, but after a while they seem to get use to it.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Ditto what John said. Feed less of her normal food. ignore the recommendation amounts on the packet and feed only what she needs instead. I'd have 2 hugely overweight dogs if I feed to guideline and not need.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John and Laura. Cassie's food says to give her over 300g a day but I only give 150g now plus loads of veg of all sorts (including windy cabbage John). The cook at school even saves me left-over veg for her a couple of times a week (cauliflower today). I also put in raw pepper, tomatoes, cucumber - whatever we have really plus she gets whatever fruit we have as treats.

Do you think I should cut her down from 150g of dried food? What if I gave her a weetabix in skimmed milk for her breakie and then just 100g of dried for tea with veg - do you think that would help (that is what our old girl had for years to give her fibre).

·
Registered
577 Posts
What sort of build is she? Do you think she is overweight? Can you post a picture? It could be that 31kg is OK for her but because she doesn't fit into the vets weight chart then they class her as overweight.

Katrina

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here she is (I took these ones yesterday to upload on the Dogs Life site as they requested some).

She maybe is a little cuddly but then always has been. She is supposed to be working stock but is a large girl. She measures 23" at her shoulders and has good muscular legs.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Personally I wouldn't be too worried about her at that weight, she doesn't look huge at all from those pictures.

The vet sounds hung up on charts and not what the dog actually looks like, I would try and find a vet that looks at the whole picture. I wouldn't want star to be loosing much if she looked like that at only a year as she still has growing to do yet.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Raw feeding will have weight dropping off her. Chester lost just over 1.5kg when I switched him from kibble to raw (not that that was my intention!) and I'm having to feed him a bigger volume & fattier meats to try and get the weight back on him.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Wendy what does her mum look like [not you :lol: ], is she a porker?

Another suggestion, have you managed to get the little minx swimming with her paws of the bottom yet, maybe that would help with taking off a kilo or two, I reckon thats all it needs at the most.

I do agree with Katz though, she is still growing and if she is running around alot without getting tired then maybe she is just a sturdy girl coz she is gorgeous :)

June

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
June and Katz - many thanks for your help. Cassie's mum was a skinny one but then she was an actual working girl shut out in a kennel far away from the kitchen helping department. She is about the same height as Cass but far trimmer. The breeder never rewards with food only pats as she says that a pat is all they need as workers. Cassie's downfall is "helping" me with the cooking but I will now only pass her fruit and veg bits rather than anything else.

Katz, I am very hesitant about feeding raw because of Cassie's very dodgy tum. Fresh meat of any kind has her hot botting in the garden and then has the runs and a nasty smell about her for days. When she was about 5 months old she had a very bad tummy bug which also got into her system through the open sores in her mouth whilst teething. It took a good couple of weeks to get her over it but since then she has been unable to eat many things especially meat/meat products. So I am really not sure or confident about giving her raw meat and bones. We only have a choice of a couple of the dried products as everything else makes her bad, even a tablespoon of Chappie has her running. At the weekend I gave her just a little fresh chicken to try and the result was a bad bottom for two days.

You are right about the vets being obsessed with weight though. They all are at our practice. I will ask about to see if any of the other local ones are better but we don't have a lot of choice up here in the back of beyond.

Thanks for everyone's help with Cassie's embarrassing little problem. She is much happier today and even let me brush her trouser area (if you are wondering what on earth I am talking about I did a thread on anal glands).

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
As she has a funny tum I wouldn't start looking for different foods, stay with what she suits her. I would probably cut out things like Bonio as they contain quite a bit of fat or maybe give her half instead of whole one. Have you tried dried sweet potato or fish skin dental chews? They are both low fat.

I was going to add that I don't think 150g is very much per day anyway so be careful cutting back too much more, it may be worth thinking about increasing her exercise too so she is burning it off.

Chloe

·
Registered
252 Posts
While I can't comment on the diet part, I have to say that Cass is absolutely gorgeous! And doesn't look fat to me at all. Lovely lovely girl.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
She doesn't look fat to me, in fact she looks fabulous :love4:

As for your original question, I wouldn't go with a lighter food, and personally would just keep on as you are, with maybe introducing swimming as June says.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry June, after I turned off the computer I realised that I forgot to answer the swimming question. Well last night we had a bit of a break through. Whilst at the beach to soothe the sore botty hubby actually got her to swim a few strokes so hopefully she will be on her way now.

She has quite a bit of exercise already - at least an hour in the day, sometimes more and often is out with hubby in the evening for another hour or more, depends where they go. The rest of the time she is busy prowling about the garden keeping the neighbours in order etc. Although I think the swim did tire her out as she has just gone back to bed - alright for some, I am just thinking about going to work.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did she have anti-biotics when she was ill?

Just asking as I believe that when anti-biotics destroy the good bacteria in the system this leads to weight gain, bloating and abdominal discomfort.

If she did I'd be looking into a long term course of pro-biotics.

At 12 months she should be able to eat 150g or food without gaining weight. She should also be able to most foods without an upset tum.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Thats a good point devildog, I remember Mischa had a bad time with Campylobactor when she was a pup, it messed her guts up for months, as you say the stomach lining loses all the good bacteria and needs kick starting to get back to normal, at the time I read this can sometimes take a year to fully repair itself [I was also told it can re-occur if it has not been totally zapped with the AB's].

Funnily enough we had the opposite with her after that episode, keeping weight on was a nightmare, and more noticeable when we met up with her siblings who were gorgeous sturdy and well covered just like Cassie.

She did eventually lose the half starved look and now I do have to watch the quantity of food she has.

Also Mischa who now weighs 26kg has almost double the quantity Cassie is having, but I don't feed other bits, except of course the few treats when earned.

The more I think about Cassie's weight gain on such a small amount per day I wonder if there is underlying reasons, but she is a big tall girl and her weight does sound right for her build, hopefully the swimming will help with getting rid of one kg, which I am sure is all it needs.

June

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She was on ABs for about 10 days and then had some more back in May time for an infection down below. What type of pro-biotics would I use? At the time of her illnesses I gave her Actimel drinking yogurts which she loved but her botty didn't. She can tolerate normal yogurt but too much of the pro-biotic ones have her trotting. Maybe I used the wrong pro-biotic for a doggy tum.

Do you know what the actual doggy ones are called (I know it has been mentioned on here before but I can't remember)?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pro kolin is a dog pro biotic but it would cost a fortune to use that for a long period. I'm sorry I don't know any other options without doing some research.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've not had much luck finding an appropriate product for you.

This one http://www.bloomingpets.com/all-products/186-blooming-pets-probiotics.html would have been the sort of thing I was looking for but I can't find any reviews on it. It is sold on amazon and eBay but the packaging is different?

There are similar ones on the American amazon with very good reviews but I can't find those brands for sale here.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Devildog for going to the trouble of researching for me. I do seem to remember that Cass had some paste stuff when she had her tummy bug. The vet said it was a type of doggy Gaviscon. It was called Diarsanyl (just found it in the cupboard) but you've guessed it - it gave her the runs worse....! Hopefully the pro-kolin is something different.

What do you think of this version - http://www.vetmedsdirect.co.uk/pro-fibre-dog-cat-protexin-800g/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts