Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I wondered if anyone had any advice or experience of this.

Pippy is one years old and very much part of the family. She's great around children, cats, dogs -anyone really. The only thing is when my seven year old daughter is swimming in the sea, she races in and tries to 'rescue' her. She doesn't do it with any of her friends or us, just her. She tries to get hold of her arm and drag her back. Because of this, we're keeping pip on the lead when we're on the beach and my daughter's swimming, though we don't have to with anyone else. I've noticed she also races back back and forth between us and my daughter on a walk if she's straggling behind a bit.

Do you think it's a misplaced leadership thing? I wondered if she feels responsible for her in some way and we haven't been good enough leaders ourselves?

In every other way she's very biddable, good recall, sits, stays, retrieves, etc and I don't think we've any issues apart from her pulling on the lead when going for a walk though she's always better when coming back.

I'm a bit stumped as to how to deal with it and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
I don't think it's anything to do with any of that Leadership stuff. She just knows your little girl is a precious member of the family who is probably more vunerable because she is young. She is just being maternal towards her and I certainly wouldn't want to change that myself, as I think it's lovely.

My Collie was exactly the same with my young boys, she would have laid down her life for them and rescued them if necessary and I encouraged that as much as poss. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah see, having read your comments, now I feel really ungrateful to her! The thing is, when she's 'saving' her, she's biting her arm trying to drag her back, so my daughter ends up with a bite marks on her arm. That's the problem which is why I'm a bit worried and keep her on a lead when my daughter's in the water.

G

·
You are right to keep her on lead to stop her gripping your daughters arm to bring her back to safety. I would do the same in those circumstances, unless I saw the child in difficulties.

It was just all this Leadership talk that had me worried, as since the advent of likes of Cesar Milan and all his other outdated cronies, it has become a worrying trend for people to think every dog behaviour is due to them not being a good enough Leader, when in a lot of cases, the dog is just expressing natural instincts.

Your girl is just being a loving, caring, if perhaps a little over zealous at times, DOG, that's all....And she sounds like an absolute GEM to be proud of :D .

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Hey,
Wow... how sweet is she!! she must really love your family!! :D
What about if your daughter swims with a pull toy.... maybe pippy would grab that instead of her arm? Just a thought!! But if your worried i think your doing the right thing in keeping her on the lead for a while anyway!! Maybe by next year she will be different?
Sounds like pippy is a great dog! xx

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I agree with Jules, its not a leadership or being the boss kind of action, Pippy knows your daughter is a member of the family but doesn`t realise that she`s able to swim and take care of herself in the water, so she feels she has to "rescue" her.

Keeping her on lead while your daughter is swimming is the best way to go for now, maybe in the future she can go swimming with your daughter and learn that its fun to be in and she doesn`t need to be rescued :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah thank you. I do adore her. I think she's the most fantastic dog. I've not had one before and she's been revelation. It's been easier than I expected but I think I've been really lucky with her as she's so easy going though she does have her teenage moments right now. :)

Bella thanks for the suggestions I'll try them. She loves retrieving (of course) and swimming so maybe I can distract her that way in the water and Jules, the reassurance is much appreciated as I feel I've so much to learn and there seem to be so many different and competing ideas on the best way to train - a bit like bringing up children.

I'm trying to find some photos to put up.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Awww, your girl sounds lovely :D
Basil also likes to herd us on walks if we separate, if OH and me ever go opposite ways he will run frantically back and forth between us....then eventually pick me :lol:
We don't have kids but Basil used to rescue things from the sea too, he used to collect all the water bottles and trash, other dogs toys, boogie boards and anything else he could see floating....he even used to try haul back the buoys :roll:

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Bless her, I think it is lovely that Pippy 'rescues' your daughter, brought quite a lump to my throat :D Keeping her on lead appeats the way forward at the moment

How about trying a frisbee throwing that into the sea to give her something else to concentrate on :?: You could try this at the beach without your daughter there, then it may stop her rescuing your daughter :?:

You have a star there :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts