Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, me again!

Where Rolo has his anaesthetic the vet shaved a patch of hair off.

Rolo is constantly licking at it and its now becoming red raw causing him to lick it more.
Ive tried telling him off, keeping him pre occupied and also gone to work got some tape and a bandage and covered it (which within 20 mins he pulled off)

Is there anything i can do, he's going to make it so sore?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
When Bracks was a puppy I bought 'chew spray' in PAH - it said on the bottle that it could be used on dogs' skin/fur to prevent licking.... maybe worth a try? Or a buster collar?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
maybe a head-collar/lampshade thingy from the vet; if its really bad?
as it shouldnt take too long of it being "left alone" to get "better" / grow back...
(no expert mind you :))

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Charlie did exactly this after he had needed a GA for a stomach op. He licked the patches where his drip lines had gone in until they were red and raw. Then, when the vet gave some antibiotic cream for them, he just licked that off too. :twisted: :twisted:

A buster collar was of no use, as Charlie just reached his front legs around the largest of them. :roll:

I found that dabbing on tea tree oil at the same time as his ointment helped, as did putting Vicks Vapour Rub onto the surrounding fur. He didn't like the smell then, and it would put him off for a short while anyway.

Also, I had to resort to using a Mikki muzzle (they are like a black sleeve) when putting the cream on, just for five minutes morning and five in the evening. That meant he simply could not lick it off for that short time. However, never leave Mikkis on for long, and never unattended, as dogs cannot pant in them.

We got there in the end, but Charlie was a true devil dog about it. :twisted: :twisted:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts