Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
do any of you know why my lab brandy will not stop licking the furniture??
she started it yesterday she lays on the couch then starts to lick the arms of the couch then she moves onto my chair and does the same again licks the arms?? then when she follows me into the kitchen she sits down or lays down and starts to lick her legs then trys to lick her back?? she hasnt rolled in anything and nothing has been spilt on the chair or couch
is this just another one of her strange funny habits (she done it last year for about 3 days)

we are sitting on soggy furniture at the moment due to her.. :p
any tips would be good we do tell her no when we catch her doing it but as soon as we turn away out comes her toungue and she licking again :D

clair

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Clair

My Charlie licks the furniture as well - mainly the sofas, but also our pillows on our bed...most odd!!

Does anyone have any idea why they would do this?? Charlie can often spend 10/15 minutes licking the same spot on the sofa, despite me telling him not too!! :roll:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi, don't know, but maybe it's some sort of displacement/comfort activity. Perhaps they find the familiar smell attractive and licking it is soothing. Clair, as your dog just did it for a few days last year and stopped, is there anything mildly stressful or different that is happening at the mo? Like roadworks, new dog in the neighbourhood, different routine etc?

Rosie

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rosie hmmmmm not that i know but i will take more notice they have just knocked down a old ppls home at the bottom of our road and we do have the large trucks rumbling past so maybe she doesnt like it but then again she does this of a night time aswell and there are no loud noises by then but as you say she could still be upset by it thx for that tip i will watch her today and see when she starts..as for the comfort thing well she is so spoilt at the moment cuddles kisses and everything as i think she still misses her companion tessa who we lost lastyear she cant exactly play fight with a king charles.. :p ...and im doing my best to find her a new freind but so far i have been to late or they dont have the female i want..lol..
thanks

clair

·
Registered
99 Posts
Maybe she has discovered that she gets attention when she licks? Or licks, gets reprimanded -stress- so licks? Don't know if any of this is relevant, just thinking out loud really.

Rosie

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi there

Smudge licks the pillows on our bed sometimes for ages - leaves them quite damp! He also licks the walls sometimes - mind you, I wish he would just lick the skirting boards instead of chewing them away! How they can taste nicer than his lovely kong or toys I will never know! Still, he seems to have calmed down a bit on that since his adult teeth started coming through.

He doesn't tend to lick the furniture - just the pillows and walls!

Oh, and he was licking the sleeve of my dressing gown this morning - but I'm pretty sure that's because I accidentally tipped it in tea!

All the best,
Nicola.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts