Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I dont know what is going on with William.
Few days ago he woke up in the morning and was holding his paw up
and was limping, apart from that he was fine and once start his day was
OK, however every time he was lying down for a while he would get up and holds his paw up. What ever the problem is it comes from the bottom of his paw, from his pud. So we called the vet and took him for a check-up.
She did have a good look, he is not in pain and behave normal. So she said that it is most likely to be strain and will get better within few day ( could be up to 10 days).
So now he is not limping, but started to lick his paw. We cant see or feel anything there.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sasha

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Makes me wonder if he has something thats embedded itself into William`s pad, although would be unusual at this time of year I`d have thought with a lack of grass seeds and the like.

I`d keep an eye on him for a day or two and if he continues to lick take him back to the vet and ask him/her to have another look and inbestigate further if necassary, hope his paw is better soon :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mary, he just had a surgery to remove grass seed from his other paw :)
My poor boy :(

I hate grass seeds. :evil:

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Oh Sasha

Poor William - have to say though I agree with Mary - it does sound to me like there is something embedded in there - hate to say it, but it could be anything....

One new year I went out for a walk with my friend and Sam cut his paw which didn't heal despite rest and being bandaged - when the vet took a look she saw nothing and we had "words" when she was forced to look further she removed a piece of glass from a car window that was about quarter of an inch thick by 1/2" long and 1/4" wide - it was enormous!!!

I'd get the vet to have another look...

Hope it is sorted soon

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Sorry to hear William is not well :( I would rule out grass seeds or something stuck between his pads first

The only other thing is maybe he has allergies, which I would not pursue until ruling out anything nasty stuck inbetween his pads :?

I hope your poor boy is feeling better soon :!:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But he doesnt have any cuts... :?
I will take him back to the vet, but what shell I do if she cant find anything again?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Poor William. Maybe its something tiny stuck in there like a sliver of glass if not a grass seed. Or if it is a strain like the vet suggested he could just be licking because it hurts. Either way best try to stop him licking at it in case he causes a lick granuloma.

Sorry I hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

?

·
0 Posts
It could be deferred pain. Mojo licks her paws when her elbows are playing up and she does much the same in that after resting she is lame, then is fine once she gets moving. If he carries on being lame after resting I would get the vet to have a look at his elbows and possibly shoulders, as the lameness may have nothing to do with his paw.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Poor boy, hope he is better soon.

Have you a Christmas tree up? Only pine needles are really nasty when they stab into your foot and also can be hard to find, I've had one stuck in my foot myself and it was almost impossible to see it.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Sasha,

I will explain first that the paw and pads are the site of a trigger of a lot of 'edorphins' which bitches in labour bite and lick all the time to release natural painkillers ito their system. So therefore biting ot licking paws doesn't ALWAYS mean the pain is coming from the paw it CAN mean that they are just 'in pain' and its coming from elsewhere in the leg or shoulder that they are limping on.

Poor William. Have you given him crate rest for a couple of days? An ibuprofen once a day with food can also help.

Di

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you SO much guys!!!!
He didn't lick his paw today and didn't limp for couple of days. So I will keep an eye on him...

Now, thanks to your advice, I am aware of the different reasons, so will stay alert to any change in situation.

Regards
Sasha

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
That is good to hear Sasha, I hope he continues to not lick his paw and stays in perfect health :D

They are a worry aren't they :? :roll: :roll: :roll: :D

Love your new sig pciture BTW Forrest is gorgeous as is William :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts