Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Our black Lab, Charlie, is 11 and has elbow dysplasia and some arthritis in his back leg. He has been slowly plodding on without a daily painkiller but we have some for the days he struggles.
Over the last few weeks it’s become worse for him to the point he couldn’t get up the stairs or jump up on our bed.
Vet on Monday recommended we try Librela and he had his first injection.
There has definitely been some improvement already.
My only concern is that I joined a Librela Facebook group and it would seem quite a lot of dogs suffer from all sorts of serious side affects such Ataxia, dizziness, incontinence etc. Not always from the first jab either. Sometimes not until the second or third.
Charlie seems to be ok so far.
Has anyone here experienced success with it or had any worrying side affects?
Thanks
Emma

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
Trouble is, far more people go into print to say they had a problem than ever go into print to say that it worked fine. This is the same with any medication. Think of the number of people who reported problems with the covid jab, yet you never heard from the millions who did not!

I'm sorry to speak in this way, but it's my honest opinion, at 11 years old Charlie is an old dog. At that age I am not trying to prolong life as much as trying to give a pain free last few years. I know that sounds hard and unfeeling, which I am not trying to be. In fact my Anna started having problems much younger, around 9 years old, which is rather young to start on permanent medication. My vet put her on Metacam. Gradually I reduced the dose to the lowest which had the desired effect, which was the dosage for a 15kg dog. (Anna was 34kg) And on that dose she remained reasonably mobile until her death at 13 years old.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Polly has been having monthly Librela injections since December (latest one this afternoon). She has had no problems at all and has certainly been more active, although the effect does seem to be lessening each time. She is also 11 years old and she is never going to get any better, so we just have to do our best to keep her as pain free as possible for whatever time she has left. Contrary to what you are saying about the Facebook group, one key thing that our vets were most impressed about with Librela was the relatively low risk of side effects.
You just have to do what's best for your dog on advice from your vet.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi Emma,

Our 11 year old boy, Max, started Librela in May after he was diagnosed with stage 3 ckd which meant he had to stop previcox. He has done wonderfully on Librela so far. Like you I stumbled across the FB page and it worried me. But then if we had no alternative to NSAIDs at this point, Max would have less quality of life and he has been just wonderful, like a pup again. So I'm going with it and trying to treasure the day to day wonderful bits of having him like a pup again - for as long as it lasts, and I will keep everything crossed and watch him like a hawk for any changes. The gabapentin he is also on has side effects - we cut him down from 3 to 2 a day as they seemed to make him unsteady on his paws. It's a balancing act when they get older I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts