Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm new here but I could really use some help.

Looks like my choc lab and I are going to live over in Italy for a year and obviously I have been looking into all the protection that she needs to cover against the Leishmaniasis and other dreadful diseases.

I am planning on using Milbemax monthly to protect against Heartworm and others. Also going to use Advantix fortnightly as advised is good for the Leishmaniasis.

Now my question is will this be enough? I have read loads about the Scalibor collar but I don't know if I should use this along with the Advantix or if this will be too many chemicals.

I am trying to protect her the very best I can and reading some of these websites scares you to death....

Has anyone any advise or recommendations?

Many thanks

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
sorry i have no advice. Have you spoken to your vet about the best way forward? We do have a few european members so hopefully someone who lives out in an affected area will see and advise.
I know how horrid leishmaniasis can be. I used to work in a lab doing research on this little parasite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I have spoken with the vet but they have never had any dealings with this kind of thing, and seemed to just agree with what I had said.

It's quite a scary thing isn't it?

I hope I get it right

Thanks again

·
Administrator
21,783 Posts
I cant tell you much about Leishmaniasis I'm afraid, I had two friends in Spain, one had no problems in her area except her dogs got Babesiosis, but the other friend had no trouble with Babesiosis but they got infected with Leishmaniasis. So it seems that these things can be quite regional. I can only say talk to your vet here initally, then more important, talk to a local vet when you get there. The collars are supposed to be helpful so it might be a good idea to get one, at least untilyou find out the score where you are going.

Sorry I cant be more helpful, but have a read of this:-

http://www.ourdogs.co.uk/News/2003/September2003/News050903/canine.htm

Regards, John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts