Labradors Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I don’t suppose there are any lawyers on this site that might give me some advice?

Many thanks Bob

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Bob

What is it you need to know, this really is a forum about labradors but maybe more of an explanation may get you the help you need :? :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its not easy to tell all on here, but basicaly. i want to know how i stand to take on the vet that failed to come to help my lab ehrn i called on there emergency number and they did not come.My lab Maxine then died with no help to save her.
I tried the RCVS but they did not do anything.:O(

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Oh gosh, so sorry to hear about your girl :cry: :cry:

I think there are some lawyers who give an initial consultation free of charge.

Hope you find someone who can help with this.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Max77 said:
its not easy to tell all on here, but basicaly. i want to know how i stand to take on the vet that failed to come to help my lab ehrn i called on there emergency number and they did not come.My lab Maxine then died with no help to save her.
I tried the RCVS but they did not do anything.:O(
I am so so sorry to hear about your girl :cry: :cry: :cry: I hope someone can come along and help you :(

Have you tried one of the 1st consultation free lawyers :?

·
Registered
348 Posts
hi bob ,, sorry to hear this is still going on ,, hope someone can give you some good advice ,, and how is the new little pup doing ,, ??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for months i blamed the vet that i thought was on duty that morning.
but 4 months later the RCVS told me she was not on duty that day and so my case was closed.
the pratice did not think to advise me of this and i really feel it was used as a way to close my case.
I have asked the RCVS to look at it again and aim my complaint at who ever the vet was on duty that day. But i really feel that vets look after there own and people like me are left with no help.

If you would like to read the whole story and the facts as i know them to be. I have set up a web site as a protest against what happened.
I have been upset about this for months, Maxine was eveything to me and since this happened I have been very down.all i wanted was someone to admit they failed that day, but all i have got is them turning there backs on me as they did to Maxine.

http://www.goldenvalleyvet.co.uk/

G

·
So sorry to hear this, I hope you can gets some good advice and finally get closure. It must be so hard to move on from this when you feel that it really hasn't been dealt with properly.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Max77 said:
for months i blamed the vet that i thought was on duty that morning.
but 4 months later the RCVS told me she was not on duty that day and so my case was closed.
the pratice did not think to advise me of this and i really feel it was used as a way to close my case.
I have asked the RCVS to look at it again and aim my complaint at who ever the vet was on duty that day. But i really feel that vets look after there own and people like me are left with no help.

If you would like to read the whole story and the facts as i know them to be. I have set up a web site as a protest against what happened.
I have been upset about this for months, Maxine was eveything to me and since this happened I have been very down.all i wanted was someone to admit they failed that day, but all i have got is them turning there backs on me as they did to Maxine.

http://www.goldenvalleyvet.co.uk/
so the vet you thought wasnt on duty... hmm.. someone had to be though didnt they?

So sorry to read your news.

Did you put your complaint in writing? If you did then perhaps you need to follow it up saying you are not happy and that you will be taking it further.

Speak to trading standards - see if they can help?

I agree that vets do tend to look after their own - but I think you will only feel happy once you have exhausted all avenues. Sadly the outcome ultimately will be the same - in your loss. Nothing is going to change that but you may feel happier if you know you have tried everything, in effort for you to feel a bit better about it all.

The RCVS must have an ombudsmen, so they have to have a complaints procedure. To tell you the vet you had mentioned was not on duty and therefore case closed is poppycock. A vet must have been on duty that night and you may have been misinformed of the name. The name is irrelevant the point is "A" vet did not come when you were promised a vet. "A" Vet - whoever that is. So therefore it is the veterinary practice at fault if they are not owning up to which vet is at fault. They have insurance to cover these things so I would not worry in the slightest about taking this further re their costs..... The only thing I would worry about is the cost to you. It may prove costly to you to take it further.

IF you see a solicitor, take a dictaphone or some notes. As I have found it is better to quote a solicitor verbatim (they will say you have a case in the freebie, then back pedal when you then pay for more advice ... as I found to my cost £400).

Go to citizens advice.

My main advice though is any complaint you make - do it in writing so you have a log. Copy it to the Practice Manager of the vets, RCVS, Trafing standards if relevant (phone your local council for the number of trading standards). Suggest you will take this up with BBC's watchdog if you do not receive a satisfactory outcome.

Recently watchdog (I think it was watchdog) did a programme on dodgy vets and the RCVS were in my opinion very defensive of the vets that were charging people for serious problems that the animals did not have... 8O

Good luck and ... you have my biggest sympathies as that must have been very distressing for you.

Heidi

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Heidi
I did wonder if Trading standards would be an option I could look into.
as there `emergency serivise` was not as it should have been.

I have got all letters as I refussed to talk to the director from the start so eveything was in writting.

Bob

ps. love the gang :O)

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Just had a look at your website, what a sad story, I'm so sorry to hear that you lost Maxine. I wish I was your next door neighbour, I'd have helped you get her to the vets. Really hope you get some sort of apology.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I am so sorry about the way you lost Maxine and I too would be angry and want someone to apologise to you :( I can now realise why you are angry and want justice and I do hope you get it for your girl :(

I do hope someone is along to help you shortly :?

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, I cannot begin to imagine how you must be feeling and how raw the pain is when there is no resolution - it does make grieving harder.

I am not a lawyer, and I suspect you won't particularly like what I am going to say now - but am I right in believing that the option to take her to the vets was there from their side?

In law there is something known as 'mitigating your losses'. If I am right the vets would simply argue that they offered you the chance to be seen at the surgery; whether you were physically able to get there or not maybe because of other ties / lack of transport would be unlikely to be a consideration in any legal instance.

I am not saying this is right - but the same now applies to humans - the GP's simply WILL NOT do house calls - if you want to be seen out of hours, first you need permission from a CLERK at NHS Direct and then you go to a local out of hours GP centre.

I don't know what your 'claim' against them would be, e.g. apology, compensation etc - but I do suspect it would be very expensive even if you could find a lawyer willing to take it on.

I don't want to become an even bigger persona non gratis - but be very careful about your website, which has the potential to land YOU in hot water.

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Bob

The RCVS should investigate but it will depend on how your original complaint was phrased, so I would have a word with them and see what you said and ask to change it to a complaint against the practice rather than the individual vet.

I do know of a case similar to yours where the vet would not come out - I think the elderly couple phoned another local vet who tried to persuade the vet to go but he refused and was quite abusive. I am not sure whether vet 2 went but the end result was that the dog died and the elderly couple complained.

It ended up with a disciplinary hearing and vet 1 was struck off.

I contacted them about a vet local to where I was then living who had behaved appallingly towards me, spoek to a lady who asked me to complain as there were a number of things there that she thought they would want to take further...

I never did - and I regret it, but at the time I was running a business and trying to look after my father... but I am still very angry about what he did and said so I understand where you are coming from.

With regard to legal action - well that could be horrofically expensive - you could find yourself with a bill of thousands - well over £20,000. And if you lost you would have to pay the vets legal costs as well - if you won they would have in all probability to pay yours - HOWEVER - one of the things that the judge will look at is proportionality ie whether the costs are reasonable in proportion to the amount claimed and if they decide they are not and they are excessive you may only get a small proportion back or none.

You also have to remember that in law a dog is a chattel without the same value as a human being - that is changing but that is the basic premise so Maxine will be treated as though she were say a faulty washing machine - and you need to decide whether the action and the costs and the stress are worth it. I suspect that any compensation you got would be quite small.

I also suspect what you want is the acknowledgement of what went wrong and to prevent the same from happening to someone else - in that case your best bet is to get the RCVS to reopen and amend your complaint.

I know how painful this is - but I do wonder whether by pursuing the matter you are just prolonging the pain and adding stress for yourself - though as I say I do understand the urge to do something and the anger, I still feel that way about the vet, who I won't name but I am sooooo tempted to.....

Let us know what yhou decide

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
acknowledgement of what went wrong and to prevent the same from happening to someone else is what I want. Im not intrested in compensation.
I was shocked at the way they wash there hands of it once I told them it was too late for Maxine. And the attude that followed from them once I first made my complant.
The RCVS said they will look into it again once I told them that no one from this pratice told me I was naming the wronge vet.
In fact it was the RCVS that told me this some 4 months later.

If I cant take legel action then I can stll make protests witch i have been told is ok as long as its done lawfully, and be a thorn in there side.

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Good I am glad that the RCVS will take another look Bob - I didn;t think you wanted compensation just to prevent it from happening again as nothing can bring Maxine back....

I know how angry you must be - my dog Neo was diagnosed with food allergies in October 2007 after suffering for 4 and a half years. The last vet we saw before I changed to the practice where I found George who diagnosed Neo - was appalling, he was rude, arrogant, uncaring - refused to any tests and actually swore at me.... and when I insisted that certain tests were done having looked things up myself and spoken to other people I was told that I was extremely difficult and unreasonable and downright obnoxious.

I am still furious at the way we were treated and the fact that thousands of pounds were wasted on inappropriate treatment because of the wretched mans arrogance, so I can fully understand where you are coming from.

Personally I would like to punch the vet - hard - for what he did and said to us - only problem is I would have to employ Mohammed Ali or someone, my punch just isn;t hard enough!!!! :lol: :lol:

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Do you have any legal aid in your house insurance that may be able to help towards a solicitor? I know a lot of motor and house insurance offer legal protection, whether they would help in this case I dont know but surely worth a try?

Hope you ge tthe apology you deserve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts