Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

Do you worry about leaving your Lab home alone whilst you have to go out somewhere? I know when we first left Bradley by himself we were very worried on what he might do - as it turns out he just went to sleep and was in the same position when we returned!

We are lucky in that we spend most of our time with Bradley, and the only time he is left is for shopping trips/meals out etc., During this time, we leave him with a tasty kong (which usually lasts 5 minutes!) and plenty of toys.

For other people i know it's not that easy to be with their Labs all the time, even though they would love to of course!

I thought it might be nice to get a thread going for you to post all your tips on what you do to make life easier for your Lab when you have to leave the house.

My tip - avoid making guilt-filled goodbyes or animated hellos. Make your exits and entrances quite low-key so as not to make a big deal out of leaving your Lab, helping them not to feel such separation anxiety.

Julie

G

·
I might be frowned upon by some people in here but I work full-time but most of the time I have a neighbour who pops round at lunchtimes to let Corrie out or I try and get home to do it myself.

He is an older lab now at 11 and a half but he is a very contented with his own company. I always give him a treat when I leave for work that way he knows I am going somewhere. I leave the radio on for him - Radio 2 and make sure he has plenty of water.

When I go out of the front door he runs to the lounge window and pokes his head through the blinds to watch me leave and as soon as I pull out of the drive he goes.

He has full run of the house so sleeps where he wants but most of the time he tends to sleep on his armchair or the sofa.

Normally when I get home from work he is lying by the front door. He is getting a bit deaf now but lying by the front door means that he feels the front door opening and has to move so he knows I am home. On occasions he is lying on the sofa fast asleep and I can walk into the house and end up having to wake him up before he realises I am home.!

For a few years I had a lodger and she also had a black lab bitch but a younger one - sometimes when I would come home from work Corrie would look at me as if to say 'I am exhausted Mum, she might quieten down now you are home!!'

When he was younger I did come home to chewed carpet tiles, torn tea towels, holes dug in the kitchen wall to name but a few things - but its all part of having a lab and I would not be without Corrie, he is very special to me and I might be soft on him but what the heck, we are both happy :D

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
when i leave the house i say bye to my dogs and say ill be back in a minute..lol..then when i come back i open the doors and there all 3 of them are wagging there tails with me going oh there are my babys..LOL..
they have eachother to play with and there toys aswell but i dont really do anything apart from say bye shut the door and walk up the street hoping they dont chew or have a accident anywere in the house..lol..

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
We are lucky, in that I work night shifts and Liz works normal 8.30 -5pm so Shadow is rarely alone for more than an hour for shopping etc. However, when Shad was a pup I did work days, but was only 5 minutes away so arranged to start/finish work early and come home for lunch. We also left Radio 2 on for him and for the fist four weeks that he was at home Liz or I were on holiday.

Cheers,

Paul & Shadow

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Julie,

Although I am a housewife and at home all of the time, Dylan who is now nearly 6months old only comes into the house for a couple of hours a day.
He is a working dog (Well.. will be a gundog when trained!!!) and he lives outdoors, he has done since the day he was born. We had him when he was 8 weeks old and has always been outside and that is exactly where he loves to be. Don't get me wrong he loves to be with you and have all of the fuss and cuddles, but he is definately an outdoor dog. We love going for walks in the fields at the end of our lane and when we get home he loves nothing better than to lie in the garden (Even in the cold!!) watching the birds and just watching the day roll bye more than coming into the house and lying by a nice warm fire!!!! But he is still part of the family, at christmas he even had lights around the top of his kennel and run. We love him to bits!!!! :D. So what I am trying to say is that I feel guilty having him sleep outside and be on his own during the day when I am in the house, but that is how he likes it!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
None of ours are left for long, a couple of hours at a time max. Sure, we've had a little bit of destruction when they were small, but at 6, 10 and 22 months they are all now really good when left either alone of with each other. I think that several things help, they always have exercise before I have to go out, they get left with a kong each and they have the radio on (Classic fm for us!). But I think that the thing that really really helps the most is training from an early age. We have a babygate at our kitchen archway and to get them used to being left I spend a little time each day with the pups in the kitchen behind the gate and me popping in and out the room. They get upset at first that they can't follow me everywhere, but they soon settle down in bed and when they do I wander in, give them a little treat for being calm and go back out again. Yes, it's time consuming, but I feel certainly worth it in the long run.
Clare

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Whenever Corbie is left (3 hours max. as he's in a crate) then I give him either a kong or one of his other favourite treats (usually a james wellbeloved crackerjack, which is usually gone by the time i've got to the door!). He also has the radio on - virgin fm.

I tell him i'm 'going shopping' or will only be a minute' and 'see you in a minute' and he's ok. I assume he's ok when we're out as well, as he's never chewed anything to bits and I came home once and he never heard me come in and i found him laying in his crate just listening to the radio :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
will only be a minute' and 'see you in a minute' and he's ok
LOL :lol:
I also have to confess I always say 'goodbye - I won't be long' - even when I am going to be long.
Do you think our labs believe us :D

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

I too am lucky enough to be a home all day except when going shopping and picking kids up from school. I leave Ben in the dining room with the kitchen door open and he has his favorite radio station on! He did decide once to empty the contents of our kitchen bin and we came home to rubbish tip which was lovely, but you could not be angry with him as it was to late and he had a very pleased grin on his face :lol: (has'nt done it since).When we leave I make sure his Big Dog water fountain is on (spoilt I know but he loves it) and scater some small treats around the room, then just leave. He seems to know we are going and when we get back he is laying down peeping through the bottom glass panel in the door :D

Cristina & Ben

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Clare,

I agree, Ben likes to listen to Power Fm, Which you get in the south of england or on-line. He likes up beat music, something to thrash his teddys too. :lol:

Cristina & Ben

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
im another lucky one who is home all day so max only gets left when i go shopping or doctors /hospital appointments. ive got a small recess in the kitchen which is his den and when i go out he will settle down on his bed with his fav toy and treat ball. i know he does this cos i sneaked round the back one day and watched him thru the kitchen window. i allways tell him good boy mum wont be long :oops: he has the radio on and so far he hasn't done any damage 8O . when he was tiny i did the same as clare and left him for a few mins on his own a couple of times during the day so that he would know i was coming back. when i get in now i just get a disgusted look from him as much as to say oh your back are you. i then get the waggy tail and customary sloppy kiss .bags then have to be looked into to see if theres any thing for him :lol:
jane and max.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hiya... its seems i'm the only one who has not yet left frodo unattended... i know i have start doing it but i just cannot muster strength to do so... But all your tips are at the back of my mind....thanks

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All,

All these little radio fans we have - isn't that great! We also leave music for Brad when we leave him, but i'm afraid he has to make do with the foreign language radio! Not sure he has learnt it yet, but he enjoys the music! :lol:

Has anyone got a 'buster' cube? We have recently ordered one, i've heard they are extremely good for keeping our labs occupied, which has to be a good thing :wink:

When we leave I make sure his Big Dog water fountain is on
Hi Cristina,

Are these good? Could you give me some more info on them, they sound great! Many thx

Hi Karen,

Where can you buy the James Wellbeloved Crackerjacks? They sound delicious... :razz:

Is funny to read that nearly everyone says 'won't be a minute' when they leave their labs, I do too - Dave is always saying to me, you know we are going to be longer than 2 minutes! lol. (Especially when it's the boring food shopping run!)

Take care,

Julie

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Julie,

Ben loves his drinkwell Big Dog water fountain (so does our cat) it has a big reservoir at the back to refill it. it also has a charcoal filter for clean, fresh water and because your dog tilts his head to drink they don't dribble water over the floor so much. (have to say it does look like a foot spa though). I will put a picture of it in benson's photo album (yellow labs pg10) as i don't know how to put it on here. I got mine imported here from U.S.A through ebay. But i think you can get them here now? I would highly recommend these they are great! :D

Cristina & Ben

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Julie,

Harvey has a 'Buster Cube', he loves it!

You can put all sorts in it, and keeps him quiet for ages :)

Fay

·
Registered
364 Posts
Bradley + Buster Cube in motor home ... boy, what I would give to be there to see that!! :lol:

Just hope you ordered some ear defenders at the same time Julie! :wink:

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hi Julie - I got the Crackerjacks (a bone-shaped biscuit) from Pets at Home - £1.99 for a bag. Here's a link to the JWB website with info:

http://www.wellbeloved.co.uk/welcome/dog/cracker/intro/

Corbie loves them - I say 'do you want a Crackerjack?' and he knows exactly what i mean :lol:

Not a Buster-Cube...get your ear plugs out! I bought Corbie a large buster-cube recently - it is very noisy... bashing it against the dining furniture and skirting boards and he gets worse when there is only one biccie left in it :lol: ... they need to put a softer outer on it :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
I also work full time so my boys are left alone for most of the day :( fortunately my husband is mostly around in the afternoonsso its not always a long time that they are outside.

I leave my two outside during the day (except in extreme weather conditions when I leave them locked in the kitchen)They have an entire shed to themselves with a bed and toys. We discovered the only way to entice them to stay in their shed out of the rain was to put an actualy old bed mattress in 'their room' and fit a doggy flap. They love it now!

My neighbour is a housewife and she says my boys look perfectly content sitting on a rock on the incline watching over their garden and hers (and looking for her cat too I suspect) and they never make a noise.

The routine is breakfast outside and before I go they get a dentastick and a 'goodbye boys have a good day'.

They know the difference between me being away a long time and a short time. Short times they are left inside and sit themselves on the stairs by the front door waiting for me to come back.

However when I get home its loves all around and then Charlie will ask to be let out again and he just sits outside by the back door watching me cook dinner whereas George has to have his inside bed, watching me cook dinner. My funny boys!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts