Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Olive has been with us for 4 days now and we've been slowly getting her used to us coming and going, popping out of the room for a few minutes at a time etc but I'm going to brave leaving her at home this afternoon whilst I pop to the shop.

The question I have is do I shut her in her crate when I go or just leave her in the kitchen?

Up until now we've only shut her in the crate at night and have let her have run of the kitchen when we're out of the room. But then we've so far always been in earshot in case she's gets into mischief!

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Emma

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The first few times i left Alfie i popped him his crate with a kong and closed the door, only went for 15 mins then came back. Built the time up over 3 weeks and now if i'm going to be longer than 2 hrs( food shoping takes forever) he still goes in his crate but i leave the door open so he can get his water and he hasn;t widdled in the house he's more likely to be sleeping with his kong still with foody bits in it...lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd pop her in the crate as well.
Bailey has been going in his when I go out from day 1. On day 2, I left him for 2 hours as I needed to go & do my horses. I popped a Kong in with him & he was fine.
3 weeks on & I just need to say 'on your bed' & he jumps in as he knows he'll get a treat & is usually sleeping when I get back. :D
Today I was out for 3 1/2 hours, I walked him before I went & had to wake him up when I got back :lol:

G

·
Id defo say crate. I shut Ruby safley in the hallway when she was 7 weeks old while i went to the post box. Came back to find she could fit through the bars on the babygate, had gotten upstairs and had a fight with a curtain.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would definitely shut her in her crate. She'll feel safe and you'll know that she can't come to any harm.

Sophie was about 8 month's old before I let her roam free when I was out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I would also say definitely crate! - with door shut too!!

The Bug has a special water bowl that attaches to the side of his crate (so that he can't knock it over) - and is still crated for up to 4 hours each day (at nearly 9 months)....

A few reasons why we are considering crate for quite some time to come...

- Whilst he loves the sofa - he loves his crate too
- The cat is given a bit of peace and quiet
- Recently - after he has been such a great boy, we left the door of his crate open recently....and having NEVER chewed anything, came back to a destroyed door step! - just tasted nice apparently!!

g[/list]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone... I left her in the crate with a Kong for just over an hour this afternoon. Came back to find a sleeping puppy, quite happy with the treats still in the Kong. She clearly hasn't worked it out yet! :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts