Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone ever leaves their dogs in the garage, sort of like a makeshift kennel?
Is this a bad idea, is there anything I'd need to think about/consider maybe?

Ours is secure, but detached from the house - do you think they'd adjust?

I'm thinking of penning off an area for them as currently the downstairs of our house is unbearably hot, at times Nellie whimpers as she's too hot and I hear Basil pacing and panting from 5am :( Our downstairs windows are all big so can't really be left open - I have been leaving one open more or less since Nellie came home but obviously it's wide open for burglars which is such a worry.

It would just be as a temporary measure during the hot weather for when i'm out or overnight....though I suppose it could also double up for when they return filthy from a walk too.
The only other option is I put them in a bedroom when i'm out - I know basil will sleep where he's lumped but i'm a tad worried that Nellie pup would get attached to this.

We camped at the weekend and both us and the dogs slept sooo well - perhaps I should just camp in my garden for a while!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
My garage is my dog room with kennels further up the garden. However because I need to shut the door on them when they are in there its too hot in there right now for them... might be worth shutting the door for a few hours then checking the temp. However you might not have the stupid asbestos roof we have which turns it into an oven.

Di

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Two of my boys sleep in the garage if we are out and at night - to be honest, they choose to spend quite a lot of time out there even when we are home (although they have free run of the garden then too). I have a run set up in the garage for them, shavings on the floor, and some plastic beds for them.

The main consideration is whether they will bark when left, and also security I guess. But my two are very happy having their own "quarters" (we often have to drag Leo back indoors when we go to bed as he hijacks the boys' beds in the garage and merrily snores away out there).

Vicki

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
My garage is attached to the house and has a bedroom above it. It's very cold in the winter, but remains cool in the summer. If we had an issue with Indy being too warm in the living room overnight then I'd have her in the garage straight away in a plastic bed and surrounded by the usual stuff she has in the house.

I imagine it'd only be a temporary option when there are extremes of temperature happening, it's very secure but also quite draughty when the wind blows directly against either door.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Di and Vicki,

I *think* it is cool in there, I have no windows open, but when I open the door during the day they choose to go in there to lie on the cool concrete floor in the shade....not sure if 2 doggies body heats would warm it up but i doubt it. The roof is pitched and tiled.

Vicki- I'm not sure about the barking. Nellie doesn't bark yet and Basil doesn't bark when left but is an alert barker, a great big single 'woo' for anyone on our drive at night (taxis sometimes turn around on it :evil: ). I am wondering if noises would seem louder or he'd feel more vulnerable and start barking....and I wouldn't want him to draw attention - although we do have a lab a few doors up each side and both bark intermittently all day anyway.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's very cold in the winter, but remains cool in the summer
We haven't lived in this house over a winter yet, but I'm really only thinking of this for the here and now really.

I think i'll give it a go and sort out an area for them tomorrow, I really do feel sorry for them at the moment.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I also think they're going to be fine. As long as they can't get to anything they shouldn't like fluids and tools etc, it'll probably be nice for them as it is very warm and humid in the south at the moment. We're quite lucky up here on the NE coast :wink:

Also, a bed with a blanket means they can take themselves off the floor and onto something a little warmer if the floor gets chilly during the night.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
I know some people who have converted their garages permanently for the dogs with no ill effects :wink: (not me, haven't got a garage in this house :cry:

As Di says, providing you are happy the temperatures don't rise too much, they should be fine :D

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Just to give Sarah, or anyone really, any ideas, my OH has worked very hard improving what we have over the last year or so. The garage/dog room, now looks like this and they spend a good deal of their time in here:

For dogs under 2

For the older dogs:
From the other direction (note sink about to be fitted at LAST after umpteen years of using the human sink which is awful!

We do have kennels and use them daily but the dog room, when not too hot (replacing the roof is the next job!) is where they spend the vast majority of their night and 'down' time.

Its very possible to make it very comfortable and very secure....

Di

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have a dog igloo and a plastic kennel in my garage ( although I really need to get rid of one of them now I only have one dog!). Both dogs always liked having their own houses in the garage. I leave the back door of the garage open so that Cassie can mooch round the garden. It was useful as when Dill got older he couldn't hold on all night. Cassie now sleeps inside, but when it's really warm, she seems to prefer it in the garage.
So your dogs might really like it!

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Very nice Di :D

Diana said:
We do have kennels and use them daily but the dog room, when not too hot (replacing the roof is the next job!) is where they spend the vast majority of their night and 'down' time.
You probably already know - but if you don't, best check the regulations in relation to the removal of asbestos roofing - asbestos is not dangerous until you come to dismantle it.

When my parents sold their bungalow - they were forced into a position of having to pay back the value of removing the garage and replacing it with a new one because regulations didn't allow for it to be dismantled because of the asbestos. :(

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Thanks Sue, yes the old man knows about these things as an engineer type blokie... He is also Mr 'Absolutely by the book' (which counters nicely against my 'wing and a prayer' attitude to life!) ;-)

Di

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Blimey Di- Al's done a cracking job on the garage. You could rent that out as a holiday home! I'm stinking-jealous now - that's just how I always imagined my out-house to look like....one day!

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Di you know what you need,

A bit of Thermostatically controlled Air conditioning..... Job done,, No need to ever worry about the dog room getting to hot.
could even send you a txt when it gets to a certain temp just so you can pop home and make sure all is well ;-)

Am impressed. Have been meaning to ask for a long time what ya woofet set up looks like

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
OOOH look how posh the dog room looks now ...................well done Al :wink: Blimey is there any end to this mans talents Di ..............gotta good un there :wink:

I have 2 garages ...............more like warehouses blinkin huge :roll:

Would love it if could sort one for the dogs ...................one day

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Could I be nosey Di and ask in the dogs under two part is that a box of sawdust or similar? Do they toilet in it? Or just play in it?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Can I also be nosey and ask, the hole above one of the baskets (middle one) looks to me like someone has had a chew at the wall? If so, which one of your dogs?

One naughty dog of mine did so in my house and his name began with a 'W' :wink: !

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ooh thanks for sharing that Di, something to aim for!

Jill, I was wondering the same. If it's a toilet box can I ask do they then toilet if they are in the house or do they know to 'hold' in there?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts