Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

Can anyone please give me advice on stopping your puppy biting his lead when he is out walking.

Every time i take him out he walks fine to start with then he will grab hold of his lead and bite often getting himself in a mess and tangled up. :oops:

We have just got back from puppy class and he was doing it when i was teaching him and it was getting quite fustrating.

HELP ME PLEASE!!

Rach x :angel:

·
Registered
353 Posts
There is a puppy in our class that did that and the trainer gave him a little squirt of water on his nose and he stopped. It will take quite a few times for him to eventually get the message.

The trainer had a tiny spray bottle but you can also use a squirty 'jif' lemon bottle (if it has been thoroughly cleaned out and only use water)

Scooby started to do this but we bought a lead that was mostly chain with a leather handle and he didn't do it anymore.

Hope one of these helps!

·
Registered
123 Posts
lola is our 8 month old choc lab and she holds the lead in her mouth when walking and a trainer told me it was a lab trait.The way to stop Lola is to hold the lead with both hands one closer to the collar so it keeps the lead short.But i don't mind her doing it as it is better than her pulling me which is the other option ! 8O

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie also takes his lead in his mouth, but he's getting better as he'll usually only do it on the way back from his walk.

I don't mind when he does it as he doesn't actually pull and walks alongside me quite nicely when he's doing that :lol: He is good usually and leaves when I tell him to.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Ben also holds the lead when we leave the house and when we are out walking he does not pull on the lead But he is putting teeth makes on my nice new hand made expensive leather lead!!!!!! I do wonder though sometimes just who is taking who for a walk? When you look at him i'm sure hes thinking "come on you could do with a walk" :lol:

Cristina

·
Registered
125 Posts
Barney tends to do the lead biting thing at the beginning of the walk, its as if to say "come on, hurry up and get out". He is like that usually on his morning walk outside, but tends to do it in the house when we first put him on the lead. :)

His latest "trick" that he taught himself was to tell you he wanted to go for a walk by going and bringing his lead to you, shaking his head and the lead - only problem is he nearly knocks himself out and anything that gets in his way is also a target. You have to take cover when he does that but try to get it from him as quickly as possible. It is funny though. :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
lola does that climbs on our shoe trunk and gets her :lol: lead off the coat hook! very clever at 8 months when my 3 kids haven't figured out that is the way to get their coats down too ! She also cuts her walks short by 5 mins while being too excited for me to get the lead on her !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts