Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 10 week old puppy & she’s a devil for picking up stones. We had a huge enclosure built for her as it’s impossible to completely secure our garden. The problem is the ground inside the enclosure is under trees & has a lot of roots & stones in. I’d like to have it slabbed but it’s so uneven so we were thinking of putting something down to stop her being able to get at the stones & roots. We’re considering artificial grass maybe but wondered if anyone has any other ideas? Many thanks

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Most dogs will pick up stones, though few actually swallow them. (none of mine ever have) But of course, if they do it can cause problems such as a blockage, often in the intestines, which can need operating on. But the other risk, even if they dont swallow is possibly chipping the enamel on the teeth leaving them wide open to tooth decay.

I've always found the best plan is to ignore it. To take notice and try to remove the stone from the mouth has the action of increasing the perceived value of stones in the dog's eyes. "Dad wants it so it must be good!" I find with ignoring the craze soon passes.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
I've never had a dog swallow a stone, and the only times I've read about it happening seem to be where the owner is worried, it then becomes an exciting thing to do, and the puppy soon learns quickly that grabbing a stone or pebble etc, gets their owner really excited and it's a great game to play. Occasionally you just get a dog that swallows stuff, thankfully I've never had one like that. I have had gravel drive ways, at the minute my girls have access to a concrete floor in their dog room, and a York stone flagged dog yard, both of which get disinfected on a daily basis. When I have had a gravel drive, I've actually scented a particular stone and got them to retrieve it to me for fun, from amongst all the other bits of stone. Artificial grass needs a lot of maintenance, and gets very hot (when we have any sunshine in the UK), so it'd be something I'd avoid personally.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Well, just know one of mine would rip up artificial grass within minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts