Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

following the advice from our vet we now feed maddie on large breed puppy food. a freind has recently said to me that there vet says this food is not suitable for lab pups ??
Can anyone offer us advice on this one!!

Many Thanks :?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Large breed puppy food tends to be higher in protein - designed to help dogs gain weight. If labs gain weight too quickly it can lead to problems with joints such as HD - thats probably what the vet is suggesting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi rachyfish

i took harvey for his vaccination today and our vet told me to feed him the puppy mix for large breeds !
Something to do with the amount of calcium in the others....if as pups they have too much calcium it can lead to bone problems and that the large breed puppy food don't have as much calcium in it / releases it slower.

Which is correct??

·
Registered
46 Posts
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&articleid=652

Its one of those areas where the science is incomplete i.e. grossly overfeeding calcium has been proven to cause problems but the research hasn't (to my knowledge) been completed to look at the sorts of differences in Ca levels in normal and large breed puppy food to see whether that sort of difference is significant enough to cause problems. The article above has more info on the subject of Calcium Phosphorous balance.
We use puppy performance on our puppies, then reccommend sticking with James Wellbeloved going to junior performance then adult maintenance. We don't use the large breed foods but will watch the science develop.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

G

·
Large breed

We do not feed murphy on large breed food, most of the good ones are just for puppies like proplan etc, we feed him on a mixer, meat as so far the complete dry foods upset his tummy. We have been told by vet and breeder and trainer that you go with what he likes rather than feeding a large breed food as they need to develop slowly

Penny

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Both are correct.
Like children, puppies who are growing need higher calorific intake than adults so protein levels are higher. But the danger is that it can lead to weight gain and encourage rapid growth (particularly when the recommended amounts on the packets are in my experience way too much). Research has found that puppies kept on the lean side are less likely to develop HD, and being overweight increases the risk.
It has been found that an excess of calcium in the diet can cause skeletal problems, although bear in mind that calcium absorbtion can depend on the levels of other vitamins / minerals.
Some useful info here.
http://www.msu.edu/~silvar/hips.htm
http://www.newmanveterinary.com/large.html
Cynic that I am :D I can't help feel that large breed puppy food is more of a marketing ploy. Also, although vets do a wonderful job most of the time, their knowledge of nutrition is very limited, and what little training they have had has often been given / spoonsored by the hills / iam etc so there is often a bias towards using their foods, particularly when they sell them and earn a commission.
The day a locum vet told me that the only way to avoid HD (from a nutrition point of view) was to feed Hills Large Breed puppy was the day I nearly changed my vet :D - luckily he was just a locum.
My personal preference is not to use large breed puppy. I use a puppy food up till about 6 months and then change to an adult maintenance.
HTH :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think thats good advice, as in humans a balanced diet is the key feature. Good quality complete foods (assuming your dog can tolerate them) give that balance and I'd trust their nutritionists to keep up to date with developments.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
and I'd trust their nutritionists to keep up to date with developments.
I would hope you are right, but they are also in business to make a profit, and even some vets may be guilty of putting profit before ethics :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed. I have a trust in James wellbeloved which may well be misplaced! They do give quite a good discount if you have an affix and deal direct, which is worth knowing. If you are a registered breeder of one animal you can get all your feeds direct.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts