Labradors Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a laptop in the near future and wondering what to buy?? I need a large screen, 15.6 for my worn out eyes, reasonably fast although the hard drive size is not so important because most data will live on my desktop PC. Any suggestions?

John :computer:

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've had Toshibas for years for use at work and they've all been bulletproof. Not stylish but last forever.

·
Registered
494 Posts
MacBook pro's are amazing, I love mine. Their expensive but the zoom capability is great, I can zoom in on an article by using cmd&+ which is helpful if text is very small. Also they keyboards are backlit so you can type in the dark :) most viruses are written for windows so yeah I've had no viruses on the mac ever, although to be safe I do have an anti virus.

The down side is the price, around £1,500 all depends on your budget really.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Bought a Toshiba last year and am really pleased with it. Not so sure about Windows 8 though, still trying to get my head around that.

·
Administrator
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think MAC's are out, according to the pedigree database software user group it seems that many people have trouble their database on them, and to be able to work on that whilst out in the garden in the summer is one of the reasons for buying a laptop.

No, I think it has to be a Windows machine. Windows 8 seems to be a "Hate it, or hate it a lot" operating system. But I'm not too bothered there because I have a brand new unused windows 7 CD here so would not think twice about reformatting the hard disk and loading that on it.

John :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a Dell that I keep at work and is fine, but recently got an HP split tablet which is great, but like Mandyb, still trying to get my head round Windows8 :roll:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If you fancied a Mac John, and my boys love theirs, you can do what they have done. Mac's have a programme on them anyway called Bootcamp which lets you dual-boot it with Windows. If you then get a programme called Parallels then you can run both Mac and Windows at the same time. That is what my lads do and have never had any problems with either.

I, on the other hand, being too mean to spend on a Mac, have a new HP laptop with Windows 8. I hated the new format so just use the desktop key which makes it run like the Windows 7. We also have a Toshiba which hubby uses most of the time with never any problems.

The only ones I personally would avoid like the plague are Acer ones. The boys had one each and near drove everyone demented. The are so slow and continually had problems.

Just noticed that the link Easter has put up is the very one I have and it is fine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use a MacBook Air and I'll probably buy a Retina MacBook Pro in the next year or so, but they have a greater value if you're using Mac OS X. If you'll run Windows on those machines you'll see an average battery life among other things.

If I were to buy a non-Apple laptop in the next year or so, I'd probably go for Lenovo. I use my laptop at work and I also have an external display, so the 14" Thinkpad T440s would be the one I'd pick but I've also heard good things about the IdeaPad Y510p which has a 15.6" display.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Build quality helps with a good brand but it's merely what inside that matters.

What you willing to spend ? What's the budget ?

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Couple of things, avoid laptops with 1366x768 screens if you're looking at a 15.6" screen, the text ends up blurred because of the low resolution. If in budget, get one with a 1920x1080 screen and then use the options in Windows to increase the text size, you'll end up with nice sharp text and will be easier on your eyes.
The biggest performance increase we've seen with laptops over the past few years isn't with the processor speed, it's having a solid state disk (SSD) rather than a traditional hard drive, so have a look for those. Quite often it's cheaper to buy a laptop with a normal hard drive and buy an SSD separately and fit it yourself. Just be careful though as some of the new laptops, especially the Ultrabooks, it's impossible to upgrade the hard drive, so check first. Intel make by far the best and most reliable SSD's.

·
Administrator
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all.

The budget is not critical loyalblue, just that being a meanie I dont want to pay more than I need for the facilities I desire. Most of it would be simple data entry so clarity of display is important because my eyes have been in use for rather a lot of years and are not as good as they were!!

I dont play games so display speed is not critical.

I also require an HDMI output so I can connect to my TV to watch Moto GP.

I have power laid onto the summer house in my garden so battery life is not quite so important.

John :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-g505s-laptop-amd-a10-5750m-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-8gb-sshd-15-6-black/p611680?s_afcid=af_47868&awc=1203_1389279374_d86d3461cdee020b93934c17768f0c96#media-overlay_show

This isn't too shabby for the price.

It has it's pro's and con's. Like the the graphics isn't a dedicated card but not a major issue. It's robust and feature-packed and has everything you need I guess. If you really wanted to you could upgrade to Windows 8.1 free with it using the windows store.

It also comes with the 2 year guarantee included from John Lewis which is a bonus.

And also I believe Curry's to have this at £379.99 .. Which if you buy from John Lewis they will and should price match that price from Currys using this link ->> https://www.johnlewis.com/never-knowingly-undersold

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
My company had bought us homeworkers the new Windows Tablet, it's bleedy brilliant, and it connects to a large monitor and keyboard so I can be mobile or have it on a desk, definately recommend it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts