Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,
My wife and I have a 7 year male Lab.
We have just bought a new house an have realised that there is a Laburnum Tree in the garden.
We are trying to weigh up the gravity of the risk to Chase before we opt to have it removed.
He is a typical wappy Choc Lab, loves helping me in the garden, chewing sticks etc.
Wondering if anyone has any experience of Labs and Laburnums please?

Thanks

James

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Hi James,

Welcome to the forum.

I've edited my post. John's an expert so if he would be worried I had better not post a laid back post.

·
Administrator
20,488 Posts
My neighbour has one right on my boundary and I must say it worries me, particularly when I have a puppy. Were it in my garden I'd have had it out long ago but it's not, so I just worry.

For safety's sake, if I was you I'd have it out.

Regards, John

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Pretty sure we have one. I didn't realise there was even a potential problem with them until well after we'd moved in. I think I only found out what it was because it seems to smell at certain times of year and I googled.

I have never seen the dogs being interested in it. They will chew on twigs that they find in other parts of the garden, but they've not shown interest in this tree. I never leave them in the garden if I'm going out, but we do spend lots of time out there, especially in the nicer weather.

Each dog is different though and you know your dog best.

Have to say also, our garden is full of ivy and the dogs never bother with that either. I have watched new arrivals, the rescue pups especially, to see if they show interest, but they never have, thankfully, as it would be an absolute nightmare to try to remove it all! We also have holly growing. The one thing I do watch carefully, are the grapes that grow by the patio as I think of everything, they'd be the one thing the dogs would be interested in.

I had a quick google and found this page/site, which might be of help?
http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/laburnum_anagyroides.htm

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
We have a laburnum in our garden. I've brought up 6 pups here and had no problems with any of them. OH does clip off all the seed pods after the flowers have died down though. It's time consuming, but it's a lovely tree and I wouldn't want any ill dogs either. As long as the seed pods don't fall on the ground it's fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts