Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just wondered how we transport all our lovlies about.

I know I started really well with Tilly in the boot on an expensive boot liner !

I also know, as she got older and wiser, she learned to slither inbetween head rests to get closer to me ( get comfy on back seat more like )

So, I bought a back seat cover and harness. Humph !

Then returning from paying for fuel one trip ( don't leave her clunk clicked while out of car ) She was on front passenger seat................

And that was it....no going back.......

...........so front seat covers and clunk clicked is how we travel.

I am sure this will be scorned on by some :oops: but it just happened...

...Should of bought a boot cage at the begining and been done with it maybe ?

How and where does your Lab travel? Let us know.......

·
Registered
421 Posts
Barney used to travel on the back seat of my saloon car but this wasn't very satisfactory. If I braked suddenly he would tumble into the rear foot well, and as well as damamge to himself, he could also cause serious damage to anyone in the front.

So, Barney added to his list of expenses he has caused me when I bought a 4x4 so he can happily live in the boot ...lying happily in there, or sit resting his head between the head rests or just sit watching the traffic out of the rear window.

I used to do that when I was a soldier...sit in the back of the landrover and just watch the people in the cars behind. I never knew it was so un-nerving for those poor car drivers until I had to follow an army convoy recently for a few miles. I wonder what people think of Barney staring at them!

Cheers
John
Shakespeare My Butt!
Home of the starey dog

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol,

Muster that John :wink:

At least I know Tills is secure in her seat and no amount of abismal driving or braking will send her flying !

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well i was just about to post about cars - I've finally persuaded hubby that my car - a saloon - is just not practical for trips out with children and Holly. His idea that Holly could eventually have harness in back seat with children(young) in their car seats.. well :roll:

So far ive borrowed his work car for trips to vets so that i can get her crate in the boot. She settles in it quickly! (Actually think it is fact he has had to take my car to work that has persuaded rather thatn my nagging)

Anyway wondered if anyone had any suggestions of decent estate models, that fit a crate....used cars of course ...no fancy models for me!! :(

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Rhoni

Smudge travels in the boot of our hatchback and this seems to suit us because he is safe in the back and (supposedly!) out of mischief!

He doesn't travel that well though bless 'im! I have a car harness for him but have not yet used it. I think that Karen found that Corbie travelled much better if she had him in the front.

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi :)

Now I found a bargain dog guard for my car on e bay, Harvey either goes in the boot of my hatch back, on the back seat with his car harness or in the back of the new Vectra estate we bought especially for him :roll:

He's great in the car, he just lies down and shuts his eyes :lol:

Fay :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
richey goes in the boot and so does vogue in my parents car, in my car vogue sits in the navigators footwell , the seat is right back and she can curl up which she does on longer journeys or sit up and look out the window or over the dashboard. The only thing i have to worry about is if she tries to rest her head next to the semi auto gearstick which is very easy to change.
Anna

·
Administrator
20,784 Posts
As far as my car is concerned, a 940 Volvo, I start with a dog guard and the dogs in the load space. Because I often carry long loads I hate the dog guard and I'm afraid that as soon as the dogs are trained I take it out. Not a good practise I know, because of the risks in the event of accidents!

When it comes to my Landrover, then there is a dog guard in that. Mainly because other dogs are sometimes carried in there and I dont know how well trained thy might be! Also the dog guard is a great place for storage! I have spare leads and whistles hanging on it, also a pair of hooks to carry my thumb stick.

Regards, John

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL Fay,

Amazing how many people have bought cars for their Labs !!!! :wink: Great innit. Hope the dog guard holds up ! 8O

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Rhoni,

Yes, I think nearly everyone has bought a new car!!! :lol: Dog guard should be ok, it was brand new - I was really chuffed!

Fay :)

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anna, yeah they love watching the world go by don't they?

John, Know what you mean......I have to say one of the reasons I didn't enforce Tills went back in boot when she slid over, was because I heard of an accident with two retrievers in boot of car that was rear ended, one ' lost ' outright and one thrown onto motorway and well.....'nough said...... :( :(

By choice now I wouldn't put them in boot. At least on back seat they have some protection from the prats behind ! :(

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fay,

Yeah I got it wrong way round though, I got car 3 weeks before Tilly, Yellow lab, black interior :( :( :(

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Nicola - Yes you're right, Corbie couldn't stomach (literally!!) being in the boot of my Corsa, so I started having him on the front seat. He sits there as good as gold although looks at me as if to say 'I'm only in here because of the walkies!'.

We used a flower remedy to stop his travel sickness and calm him down, which worked. He has a car harness now which clips into the seatbelt and he still sits there as good as gold! Apparently the harness doesn't clip into Fords which is a pain as Graeme has a Ford but I've not tried it in there yet.

I will be trying to gradually get him onto the back seat though as Graeme doesn't like being relegated to the back while Corbie sits in the front :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
:lol: Karen - I've got a vision of Graeme sat in the back now, with Corbie sat in the front like Lord Muck!! :lol:

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
:lol: Yes, that's about right Fay!! Funny thing Graeme is 6'4" so he could really do without being squashed in the back - at least Corbie has plenty of leg room :lol:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Hi Karen

What was the name of the travel sickness remedy, Sox is not a good traveler,I have spend a small fortune of tablets from the vet which don't seem to work that well,I would appreciate any help or advice on this subject.

Margaret

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Got a Renault Scenic RX4 with leather seats!! Fur does not stick to it so dogs allowed on back seat. LOL! Loose for short trips and in harnesses for long trips or if motorway driving involved. :lol:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
hi rhoni....great thread ... other experince is such a great help.....

Fay , Frodo is just like harevy, lies and closes his eyes....care a damn of whats happening outside (we always with air conditioner's on).... But yes a sudden break and my poor boy comes flying between us... I've never tried putting him on the floor of our SUV as we doubt he if'd like in there without us :? .....So he's always on the back seat......

Regards

1 - 20 of 46 Posts