Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:p Yes it's true labradors are well known to be greedy dogs - bless them. They will eat virtually anything. I am a vet nurse and have recently seen several labs in an emergency clinic that have eaten human drugs/items of clothing - knickers or socks/chocolate in large quantities, stones and so on.
Some times the items pass through without a problem but more often the dog's life is at risk. They either need surgery to remove the object or the need treatment to support them due to diarrhoea/vomiting and abdominal pain.
My point is train your dog not to eat items found however small. You can try using bitterspray, unrelentless training or simply distraction using treats/toys.
It is wise to keep a supply of soda crystals in the house. These can be used to make your dog sick if something is eaten - although you should never do this if the item is caustic/sharp. Check with your vet with a quick phonecall if you are unsure. By making the dog sick as soon as the item is eaten could save his or he life. It is sad to see the suffering caused by a labs greed - just be aware of the problem ok guys.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Very true Chocolabs,

Our Bradley is one big gobbler!

His favourite items he likes to pick up are sticks, shoes, small stones, leaves, tea towels, socks and my hubbys slippers!

Always good to be aware of the dangers though, my hands are constantly in Brads mouths retrieving items! (I'm turning into a retriever myself..woof!)

Where can you get soda crystals from?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get them from most supermarkets - you need the actual pieces though don't buy free-flow crystals as you need a decent piece to put down the dogs throat.
It can be irritant so only use it if the dog has eaten something which will cause him harm - wither by becoming blocked or causing toxic effects. Consult your vet if in doubt or call Vetfone 0906 500 1291 calls cost £1.50 a minute but you do get excellent advice from qualified Veterinary Nurses.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Great Advice there thanks for help line number ok it may be £1.50 a minute but hell i rather have a live dog then a dead one
cheers we put the number on the memory on the phone just in case

:p :p :p :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts