Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any good tips of how to clean labs ears effectively. Jess swims alot and has now developed an ear infection which we have drops for.
Don't want this reoccurring so any help would be appreciated. :p

Thanks.

Lynne

G

·
Lynne

If you get some ear cleaner such as Shaws ear cleaner and some cotton wool just apply the ear cleaner to the cotton wool and clean them out daily really digging into those ears to pull out the muck. Because the ear flaps close the ear, germs can breed quite easily inside a labs ears and infections occur. Only use a normal ear cleaner once you have finished with the ear drops though in case of irritation. If you are unsure as to how far to dig for dirt & wax get your vet or nurse to give you a lesson and show you, if your vet is any good they will be happy to do this for you.
If the ears are sore try a cream such as tea tree oil cream this will soothe sore ears, dip the cotton wool in cold water first, wring out and then apply the tea tree oil cream with this damp cold cotton wool.
Hope this helps.

Michaela

·
Registered
8,784 Posts

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Dylan is prone to ear infections as he goes into the mucky pond,but i'm quite lucky as dyl's vet thinks the world of him and always does it for him,and it's always a freebie too so cant be bad,lynne.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi

i use specicare...leo dog ear cleaner from the vets squirt it in and rub the dogs ears then wipe clean with cotton wool :)
also canaural again from the vets squirt in but leave it in dont wipe out like the leo dog ear cleaner :)

brandy hates me doing it i have to more or less sit on her to clean her ears..lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts