Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

We will soon be reunited with our darling little cats, Chloe & Lotte, who have been cared for by our good friend back home, whilst we have been away travelling around Europe. Can't wait to see them, all accept this time - we have a new friend to introduce them to!

Bradley :D

We're lucky in that Brad is great with cats, as he has seen so many along his travels, and we even rescued one along the way not so long ago. (Poor kitty wasn't strong enough to make it through :( )

Anyway, my question is - how do peoples cats react to their labs?

I'm thinking of getting a stairgate and letting the cats have their 'own room' just so they can get used to things again...

I wouldn't want them lashing out at young Brad.

How do your labs and cats get on?

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated. Thank you.

Julie

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hi Julie, our nine year old cat Rosie (also black) grew up as a kitten with my last lab, so was quite used to them when we brought Shadow home.
Rosie has her own room upstairs away from Shadow, so she can go up there to get away from him if she wants a bit of peace!
Shad and Rosie do get on well, although Rosie is definitely the boss, and wastes no time in letting shadow know if he's getting ideas above his station! Hope that helps,

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi julie aww bet you cant wait to see them again 8)

i have 3 dogs and 3 cats they all get on great 8) the cats are the boss of course and they let the dogs know that whenever they can..lol..

dog and cat meeting for the first time is always stressfull but as long as the cat has somewere to escape to that the dog cant get then they should eventually get along great..lol.

rosze being my newest dog was introduced to tigger first she is a cat that thinks she is a dog..lol.. rosze had a good ol sniff and a little nibble..lol. the first week yes i admit she chased the cats but a firm NO or NICE and she seems to leave tigger alone but as for the other 2 cats..lol.. because they wouldnt allow her ot have a sniff of them they were always chased because to roszse they were new play thing she hasnt seen before..lol.
but now im glad to say they are all getting on great even sleeping together at times..lol..

also be carefull of the cat straching the dog especially by the eyes cats claws are rather dirty..

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Julie,

We have a stair gate, so our cats live upstairs.

When they first meet Harvey wanted to play and as the cats are both quite nervous they just ran off. On the occasions they have met since they run off, they've not attacked him which is good.

So at the moment he just watches them come up and down the stairs :)
When he's asleep they sometimes sneak into the living room, and if he's got one eye open he just watches them.

Hopefully they will just get used to each other in time :)

Fay

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Julie,

We have a stair gate on the stairs too, My poor cat has to jump across the furniture to get around the rooms..lol

Ben loves her but she is not keen on his bouncing around and poking her..lol Big thug.. :lol:

Hope the meeting goes well for bradley. :wink:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Our cat (Magic) has been with us for 6 years and was horrified 2 weeks ago when Mario arrived! There was a lot of hissing for 3-4 days which then turned to a curious smelling with fast retreat. Magic definitely is boss and we feed him first too. Mario seems happy with this arrangement and seems very taken with him. Mario looks on the cat as his playmate though and often pounces on him without warning! I've noticed Magic our cat seems quite jealous and often comes over for a cuddle whilst Mario is sleeping... It's been quite funny really and things are definitely improving. I wish you good luck and a very happy reunion!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
We had 2 cats,sadly they died within 6 months of each other aged 15. So we decided to get a dog instead,hence Buster

Kev

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all your advice, it's much appreciated.

I will be sure to let you know how the burley household gets on when we introduce Bradley to our two cats!! :lol:

Thanks again,

Julie

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi again,

I used to have 4 cats, sadly 2 have passed on to ***** heaven now but Poppy never had a problem with them. In fact 2the 2 who passed on loved poppy to bits, they even let her wash their ears. But my other 2 aren't so keen on her. They know not to cross oneanother on the stairs and such like.

The thing is about labs is they soon learn it is not a good idea to come across a cats claw very fast.

Im sure they'll be fine together :D

Love Hx

·
Registered
99 Posts
Our cats are becoming very hungry as since bringing Lucca home yesterday, they have stayed as far away from him and the house as possible - in fact the closest they have got to him is peering through the conservatory window in absolute horror - he by the way hasn't even noticed that they exist! :roll: The only saving grace in this tale is that we live in a victorian town house, so the dog is restricted to the lower ground floor which has direct access to the garden and the cats can escape to the upper floors and out of his way- the problem is we either have to carry them in (else they would not enter) or try and train them to use the front door in future, does anyone have any tips on getting cats to ring doorbells???? :lol:

I'm sure it will sort itself out eventually :?

Sarah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts