Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not planning on getting another dog yet as Lola is only 4 months old but in the future i am definately going too. I originally have planned another lab but i am not set on that and am open to other breeds. What do you all think works best with a lab, another lab or something else let me know your ideas as i want this time to do all the full checks and pick a good breeder no matter what the breed.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Danielle and Lola pup

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Labs generally get on well with most breeds, a lot of members have other breeds as I expect you`ve noticed, Becs with her mini lab Ted :lol: , and Flo the JRT, Jules with The Pood along with Mojo and Pickle, I have Cindy, she and CJ aren`t bosom buddies but they get on :D

G

·
I'd go for something of a similar energy level and with similar instincts if you want a really good match. Although Labs will and do get on with most breeds.

I've had Labs alongside Poodles and Lurchers and my sis has Labs, Terriers, Mongrels and Poodles, yet all the Labs seem to prefer the company of the other Labs, especially when playing. They just seem to understand each other :lol: .

Mojo's preferred friends who are different breeds are Bec's Zorro who is a Golden Retriever and my sisters Myrtle, who is a Lab x OES. And the dogs my Labs have got on least with have been GSD's, BC's, Akitas and any "eyeballing" or assertive dogs....and Mojo is absolutely TERRIFIED of snorty, snuffly things like Bulldogs. :lol:

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Just labs for me :D

I think any breed will get on with a lab, a few folks have spaniels, golden retrievers, rottweillers, english bull terrier, staffordshire bull terrier etc etc. It is how you bring up the dog not the breed that matters, bad owners make bad dogs ie all the chavs with staffies, which give the staffie breed a bad name through no fault of the dogs :(

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
_Jules_ said:
I've had Labs alongside Poodles and Lurchers and my sis has Labs, Terriers, Mongrels and Poodles, yet all the Labs seem to prefer the company of the other Labs, especially when playing. They just seem to understand each other :lol: .
Sooooo agree with this Jules ! Jess loves Molly and she also loves my mums 2 schnauzers but shes a completely different dog around the labs that we meet at the woods. They just seem to play so differently ! The only dogs Jess seems less keen on are JRs - and I'm not sure why as wev'e had no bad incidents !

·
Registered
503 Posts
Paddy gets on with most dogs he meets.

He lives with a GSD of course; a whippet, lurcher and JRT are part of his every day circle of friends :)

Patrick

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
i agree that labs love labs! coal esp will ignore most dogs on a walk but a lab gets an instant play bounce :lol:

if i had another breed i think i'd stick in the gun dog group and go for a cocker :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Dev said:
I am not planning on getting another dog yet as Lola is only 4 months old but in the future i am definately going too. I originally have planned another lab but i am not set on that and am open to other breeds. What do you all think works best with a lab, another lab or something else let me know your ideas as i want this time to do all the full checks and pick a good breeder no matter what the breed.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Danielle and Lola pup
We have our older lab within the house and her best pal is Lu Lu our Jack Russel, they get on so well

Steve

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
My only personal experience is of having a lab (Charlie) and a cocker spaniel (Topsy). They are good together, and their exercise requirements are pretty similar too. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts