Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are any of the members of this forum interested in training their labradors for shooting and picking up, if so how many .[/url]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi callestr,

Welcome to the forum.

are any of the members of this forum interested in training their labradors for shooting and picking up, if so how many
It isn't something I had thought about. What does in entail? 8)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi ,Callestr right we do already have suzy fully trained now (19 months old) as a very good shooting dog she is better than any other labrador ive own in the past she does not bark at all even when the guns are fired and will only bark on command and always bring back either the pheasant or rabbit back without
tearing big bites out of what she returns she loves rivers or water apart from sea water
any one wanting help trianing there dog Callestr please help them or i can also past infromation on

:p :p :p :p :p :p

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi Callestr. I train my dogs to the gun, I have run my dogs in field trial competition. Do you compete? I am a member of the URC which hold its field trials under KC rules and regulation. Competition is very tough and am finding that it is the proffessional handlers that take the Challenge certs. for championship. I do better at showing at Championship level. The reason I work and show is because you need reach FTC and Sh. CH to gain full Championship status. Labradors have not held this status since 1942 ish.
Kay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Callestr,
My Lab Cherry is 'a working girl' on our small shoot, in Shropshire. I have only had her four weeks, but her progress in such a short time has been really impressive,
Her previous owner, said that she was intimidated by his other Labs and Springers,and had pretty much given up with her,
She was a little shy at first, but soon started to find her feet,with help from our Terrier, she is still a bit hot headed working as a line dog, but picking up and on the peg she is great.
I,m going to try and upload a few pictures of her very soon.
I will post a progress update on her as the season goes on .
Kelv

·
Registered
18 Posts
I train my labradors for retrieving trials. My husband is the hunter in the family.

I enjoy training and trialling. Only problem I have is that it has completely taken over my life.

I am currently on the hunt to import a pup from overseas to compliment a wonderful bitch I have. Health clearances are vital, as is excellent retrieving desire. So far I think I have spent a zillion hours in my search, LOL.

·
Registered
47 Posts
HI Everbody
I am training Paddy as a working dog, he is almost eight months old now and retrieves well from land and water but has only worked on dummies to date. he is ok with the sound of a gun and a thrown dummy, but has not yet been asked to retrieve game.
Paddy has been out beating with me, but my brother who has two excellent lab gundogs reckons I shouldn't take him beating until he is fully trained. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
I thought it would be a good idea to steady him around other dogs, but i don't want to do this if it will teach him bad habits etc. Any ideas?
regards
BN
paddylab

·
Registered
49 Posts
If Paddy's up to doing a full days work I don't think it will do him any harm. I trained my first Lab as a worker and she was retreiving and working pheasants at nine months and was still going at twelve. The only thing I can see as being a problem is him "running in" or chasing hares or rabbits which could put him in danger.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi Paddylab, I would not take a dog out into the beat until fully trained in retrieving game. This is very different to working with a dummy. Has he retreived any game at all?. I get my dogs used to the retrieve by tying a rabbit skin or skined pheasant to the dummy and train them this way. There reactions to the retrieve are quite different and until Paddy is 100% on comand it is not advisable to retrieve live game. As Marty has said there is a danger of him running in. do you have full control if Paddy does chase? Will he obey your command when in full chase? If the answer to either of these is only sometimes or no, then he is not ready. I do field & working trials with my dogs, so when I help on a beat I do not take my dogs with me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi kayc,

what are your dogs names? Will I have seen any of them at recent FTs?

I go regularly with a mate who does really well at trials, it would be nice to see your dogs run.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks to Marty and Kay for the advice re Paddy and beating.
I have to admit that although paddy is a great trier and very keen to learn,
I couldn,t swear that he will always return on the first whistle.
He does most of the time but not 100%.
Its probably wisest to lay of the beating until he's a touch more steady.
I can usually call him back from a hare/rabbit but if another dog is sent to retrieve he is apt to break after them. (any tips)
Paddy has not retrieved any game at all, just different types of dummies.
I think I will try the tip with the rabbit skin to bring him on a bit.
He is usually excellent when we are training alone but i find it very hard to keep him focused if other dogs are about (again any tips?)
isn't it good to have a website where we can get help from other lab fans.
Regards
Brian
Paddylab

·
Registered
49 Posts
No problem Brian,
Another thing you could try is to fasten pigeon wings (or partridge, pheasant etc) to a dummy to get him used to feathers. As for keeping him focused, he's going to improve with time and experience, give him plenty of training sessions with maybe one other dog, so he gets used to other dogs retreiving but not over excited with too much going on.
I'm sure he'll turn out just fine, I think mine was brilliant in spite of my efforts :lol:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Have to agree with what's already been said, you have little to gain and much to lose by taking him before he's ready. He's still very young and the excitement is likely to hinder rather than help his progress. The level of training depends to a certain extent on what you intend to do with him - do you just want to do a bit of rough shooting, or pick up on a driven shoot? Obviously, you can get away with a lot on the former, but need 100% reliability on the latter (unless your one of the guns! :D ) :oops:
If he's not 100% on anything then its 'back to basics' everytime.
You say he's ok on his own, but not focussed when other dogs are about, do you train with other dogs, it may be worth joining a club. He's still very young, so progress will often be a case of two steps forward one step back.
You have many years ahead of you with him so much better to take things slowly and surely.
Good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi again
I will be doing mainly rough shooting with paddy, with perhaps two or three driven shoots each season.
I want him to be a decent standard just so he doesn't embarrass me or himself, and of course so that he is safe.
This is my first time at training a gun dog from scratch, I have always used my brothers dogs before.
I will take on board all the advice given and give it a try over the coming weeks, thanks again
Brian.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Paddys Training

I think Lablovers got it about right, with respect to training working Labs, the one thing I would add, is, it can get very confusing for a young dog , alternating between being a line dog, where their soul purpose is flushing game, compared with retrieving game from the peg, under more controled conditions, I would recommend starting with the later, mixed if possible with picking up ,
My Lab Cherry, 3 years old , reckons working a beating line is for Spaniels, and will have nothing to do with it. But shes lucky to have her own Terrier to do it for her.
kelv

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi Al737. I have 7 labs and 1 ESS in all, most for the showring but two I work as well. They are Carpenny Echo, the Grandson of the Norwegian Champion Mementos Excelsior and Craigour Kay who is an ESS. Grandaughter of FTCH Robinsmoor Sam of Flintwood and FTCH Kenine Robb of Rytex. The Carpenny dog is mainly of Norwegian descent and the Craigour bitch is mainly Badgercourt lines. Our next Championship working trial is at Skipsea in West Yorkshire on December 25th, Christmas Day.

Kay

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Kay,

Very nice breeding in the Lab. I have a friend in Norway who holds Torunn Sorbye's kennel in very high regards - with 30 champions no wonder! There are some really nice dogs in Norway; my friend has had a few successes with her home breds out there in the field.

I haven't seen Carpenny Echo so far as I am aware, but I'll keep an eye out for you. I wasn't aware there was a trial on Christmas day though - it's not listed in the Kennel Club listings. I probably wouldn't be going anyway - it's our turn to have the MIL for lunch!

What are your other dog's breeding?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi Al737, Sorry, its working trials at Skipsea, not field trials, we do both.

My other dogs are 1 Delderfield (a mixture of stormley, Poolstead and Sandlylands lines) 3 Oakhouse and 2 Exelby (my own Affix) All show type. What I would love though, would be to hold the full Ch. Ahh well, only a dream away. :D This is the main reason for bringing in the Norwegian line. No labrador has managed this since 1942(ish) Can't see me ever attaining this but it will be fun trying.

How about you, what are your lines.

Kay

·
Registered
29 Posts
My bitches are all bred by me - I have 2 generations at the moment. They go back to a Sandylands bitch.

My dog is from mostly Sealpin lines. Looks good and works :)

Have you won much with the Carpenny dog at field trials? What is he like? Do you have him at stud?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts