Labradors Forums banner

Labrador standard Kennel club

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  _Nicky_ 
#1 ·
how do i find out in the deepness and darkness of the kc side, who is responsible for the labrador standard???

thanks in advanced evelyn

#4 ·
Breed STandard

HI

Ultimately it is the Kennel Club who finalise the Breed Standard. All the standards were changed in January of this year (all breeds - some to a large extent others with the odd word). At the moment the standards remain under review.

Normally any changes would be discussed at Breed Club level by members and committees then channelled through the Breed Council. There has been a couple of open discussions around the country - Sandylands and at Rocheby to get a view on this. There will also be a Northern discussion on Saturday 8th August at Northumberland, open to all . See seperate note or pm me for details.

Can I ask do you have a reason to ask this - do you want to put forward some suggestions??

Jo

#5 ·
EvelynH said:
how do i find out in the deepness and darkness of the kc side, who is responsible for the labrador standard???thanks in advanced evelyn
Evelyn, if you mean the very first breed standard; it was drawn up in 1916 by the nine original founders of The Labrador Retriever Club.

There has not been too many alterations since - the latest one was originated by The KC.

#7 ·
i would like a statement of that people, what they are thinking about to catch males out of breeding with more than 59,5 cm...
like this is happen actually in my country...
and i think the english kennel club is the over all competence.
and if the answer would like i wish, i would pass it through :wink:

#8 ·
EvelynH said:
i would like a statement of that people, what they are thinking about to catch males out of breeding with more than 59,5 cm...
like this is happen actually in my country...

and i think the english kennel club is the over all competence.
and if the answer would like i wish, i would pass it through :wink:
Do mean what I think you mean 8O :wink: measurement of a male dog you know what :wink: ?

I've never heard of that been done ( interesting).

#9 ·
no joke...
this is a google translation (with a bit of a personal correction) of a conformationtest .
hope it is understandable

60 cm
not sufficient

Mask. Head, corr. Expression, strong neck, corr. Upper line, corr.
Angulated hindquarters, very good coat, able to move with a lot of shear,
deep, well-rounded chest, strong bones, because oversize breeding permission not possible.

#11 ·
Evelyn... like Nicky, I ask -: Are you asking if the Kennel Club are likely to add an amendment to the standard that talks about certain heights being not allowable for breeding in males?

I find that very unlikely and have heard no talk about it. Yes in the USA they certainly have followed that through, (or at least as regards the dogs in the showring, there is no BREEDING restriction using a height allowance) and have a height disqualification for the showring, but not here...

Did you hear some talk that it might be considered for the UK breed standard then? Or is it you would LIKE it considered for the standard?

Di

#12 ·
No no no! We are throwing far more dogs out with the DNA tests! We simply cannot afford to throw out any more on a stupid mark on a ruler! Please overturn any rules on this and reject any attempts to inforce one. IT MUST NOT HAPPEN! Our gene pool is already far too restricted. Do you know, I was researching a dog a couple of days ago and found a total of 162 separate instances of Sandylands Mark, 571 seperate instances of Sandylands Tan and a staggering 1399 separate instances of Sandylands Tweed of Blaircourt in the pedigree!!!! Yes thats no typing error, and not a "Fly by night" breeder either! I went back 15 generations and had I gone back another couple of generations I might have found more, but I was only specifically looking for Mark. And although this is the most I've seen it's not that unusual to find large numbers. People have been doubling up on dogs so many times that it must be expected. But we simply cannot ristrict the gene pool even more by silly rules.

Regards, John

#14 ·
Ok, now I'm REALLY confused :?

I know there is a small language issue here but I'm at a loss to understand what is crazy about either my interpretation of your previous post Evelyn, or Di's rewording/expansion.

And there was me thinking that I was rescuing your post from Pam :roll:.

So Evelyn, please put us out of our misery, what did you actually mean?

#15 ·
i think somebody who "knows" me for a while would never think that...
and i think i expressed also in my previous writings, that i am shocked about that.
and thats why i want this contact, that this people of the kennel club tells me also what a silly thing this is to rule out males with 60 cm and more and i can pass this through to our people here

#16 ·
I think Evelyn is trying to lift this restriction in her country and is trying to get information of knowledgeable people that she could present to the people of her kennel club.

Personally I find it a stupid restriction, I don't really like the look of the very tall labs, but that doesn't mean I think they should not be bred from.

Dave

#17 ·
Ok Evelyn, this language barrier is what has caused the misunderstanding here. Nicky and I BOTH thought you were against such a thing happening, but we couldn't be sure and assume that, so we were just trying to clarify...

Thank you for your email, I have replied and hope my suggestion is useful.

For the record Eveylyn is strongly against such a move (adding a height disqualification to the breed standard in her country - or ours).

I have to say Evelyn I hugely admire your english, i could never write like you do in german! But it really wasn't clear which way you thought from your posts. Well not to me......Glad its sorted now. Good lukc in what you hope to achieve regarding this in germany.

Di

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.