Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this site and labs in general! We have always had cockers, but lost our last boy a few weeks ago very quickly and traumatically to an auto immune disease. For the first time in 18 years we have a dog free house and it鈥檚 awful. we probably will have another spaniel at some point but what I would like now is a Labrador 馃挄 what I wondered is there much difference temperament wise between show and working labs? Also a lot of working cockers really don鈥檛 make great family dogs its scary to see the current rise in popularity of them as people often don鈥檛 know what they are buying and there are lots in rescue. same question really ~ is it the same with labs, looking on KC website at litters they say with make good family dogs, but they have lots of FTC in their pedigree. We don鈥檛 have children, but I am lucky enough to be able to take my dog to work at a rehab/dementia centre so once past the puppy stage, (and the teenage stage 馃ぃ) I would like a dog that is calm enough to be around people.
sorry for long first post, but I am trying to find out as much as possible before I buy a pup, and if labs are like cockers, the books don鈥檛 tell you everything you are better asking an owner!
any advice greatly received at this stage xx

Premium Member
Hello and welcome to the forum, there's no real one generalisation, there are different shapes between show and working, and there is a huge range of pet bred Labradors, but within show and working you get couch potatoes and those who won't settle within both camps. I have three currently, all related, 'show' bred but old fashioned kennels that work as well within their pedigree, so some dual purpose lines in there. My current youngster is 18 months old and slow to mature, much like her Grandma, and she is the most affection, if daft lump going. I would say you need to look at the individuals behind each pedigree, rather than thinking all show Labradors are ploddy and couch potatoes, and all working/FTCH are raring to go.

Administrator
You will find working Labradors a lot less manic than working cockers, although some can be rocket ships where others are steadier. But then, some show Labradors can be perpetual motion machines where others couch potatoes. As Tarimoor says, you need to look at whats in the pedigree to get an idea of what the pups would be like.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies, that鈥檚 really helpful information, I will start to look more closely at breeding. We don鈥檛 mind an active dog, we are lucky enough to live close to the Peak District, so once mature enough we can offer plenty of walking. If nothing else I am enjoying looking at all the puppy photos while I learn!

Premium Member
It's actually quite interesting watching different breeding alongside each other. I'm going to gundog training with my youngster who is show/dual purpose bred, slow to mature in that she's still very puppyish in comparison to some her age (21 months old now), but I would say she's the joint fastest Labrador in her training group, the other being a working bred black Labrador. One guy has a lovely little yellow bitch who plods out for retrieves and is very ploddy bringing them back, preferring to say hello to the trainer before finally deciding to return.

There will be, I'm sure, some local training groups to you, might be an idea to get in touch with a local club and see what events they have, and go along to have a look and meet people. I just got a list through for training events in my area, for three ridings, which is over the other side of the Pennines from you, and I've volunteered to go help out as they are always looking for extra pairs of hands. I just hope they don't ask me to throw a dummy, as I'm rubbish. The Kennel Club website will have a list of all the clubs, and you'll be able to see which ones are in your area. They also organise the shows, although not all members participate in both events, as you will find a lot focus on one or the other, but rarely both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts