Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I'm after a bit of advice for my 5mth old labrador who seems to have diarrhea. Every time of late when he does a poop in just comes out very watery with a big release of gas at the start, can't see any blood in the poo. Been going on for around 4 days and I'm starting to get concerned. We haven't changed his food. He's still eating and being his usual self. We have reduced his food intake a bit to around half to what he normally has but still getting the diarrhea. We haven't fasted him for 24hrs hours as I'm not sure this would do any good. Is it time to visit the vets, any advice would be appreciated. Adam

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
He needs to see a vet, there could be an underlying cause that requires treatment, and youngsters need to make sure they are getting enough nutrients through for development, so definitely a vet appointment.

·
Administrator
22,240 Posts
You may not get to the vet before Monday, so in the mean time I would feed a light bland diet of chicken and rice. You wont go wrong with that and it will probably be your vet's recommendation. There is an injection vets can give to settle the stomach. If possible take a little sample of the motions with you when you go, just in case your vet wants to check for Campylobacter and Salmonella. It might save time.

·
Administrator
22,240 Posts
An article I wrote a while back. It might be worth a read.

Loose stools! So common in puppies, to the extent most pups are to a greater or lesser extent a bit loose. There are several reasons why this could be so.

Firstly there is the stress factor. We take a young puppy away from everything it knows, It’s mother and littermates, the place which it called home ever since it was born, even the only people it has ever known. It’s easy to imagine how this could upset it’s system.

Secondly comes food and drink. You know when you go on holiday how even the water tasted different!

Thirdly, also concerning food. Puppies grow so fast, and need large quantities of food to sustain that growth. But they only have little stomachs. Next time you feed him, look at him and imagine how small his stomach must be in order to fit in that body, then look at the food and ask yourself, “Where on earth does he put it all?” The answer is that a large part of the food passes through him so quickly that it is only partly digested, pushed through by the next meal! This is probably the biggest reason for loose stools and is perfectly normal.

Fourthly we come to the less good things. There are a number of parasites and organisms which could cause problems, Worms, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Guardia and the like. But these are not that common. Most breeders have a worming program so it’s rare these days that a pup from a responsible breeder will have a worm burden, but for all that, it’s possible.

If you are really worried then your vet is the person to talk to. They can test a stool sample and determine if there really is a problem or not. I’ve had pups remain a little loose for the first nearly 6 months simply due to the quantity of food required. The stools just gradually improve until you realise that they are now nicely formed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All. I'm after a bit of advice for my 5mth old labrador who seems to have diarrhea. Every time of late when he does a poop in just comes out very watery with a big release of gas at the start, can't see any blood in the poo. Been going on for around 4 days and I'm starting to get concerned. We haven't changed his food. He's still eating and being his usual self. We have reduced his food intake a bit to around half to what he normally has but still getting the diarrhea. We haven't fasted him for 24hrs hours as I'm not sure this would do any good. Is it time to visit the vets, any advice would be appreciated. Adam
Hi there - I wondered if you got anywhere with this after seeing your vet? Our black lab is almost 6m old and has always had soft or loose stools, sometimes with a bit of blood in it. He’s so well in himself, and I do think it’s possibly an allergy so we’re currently changing him over from Burgess chicken kibble to AVA sensitive tummy and skin. He also seems to have sticky eyes at the minute too and I’m not sure if they’re connected. Hope you got sorted!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there - I wondered if you got anywhere with this after seeing your vet? Our black lab is almost 6m old and has always had soft or loose stools, sometimes with a bit of blood in it. He’s so well in himself, and I do think it’s possibly an allergy so we’re currently changing him over from Burgess chicken kibble to AVA sensitive tummy and skin. He also seems to have sticky eyes at the minute too and I’m not sure if they’re connected. Hope you got sorted!
Oh and his tummy is so sensitive, he’s waking us for a poo in the night now too - hence me being awake at this time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and his tummy is so sensitive, he’s waking us for a poo in the night now too - hence me being awake at this time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi MicMc. Yes he seems to be better now, I think he might have eaten something on his walks that caused him to have loose stools or though there is also a virus going round in my local area that is making dogs unwell. The vet gave us another worming tablet as a precaution and 3 sachets of Fortiflora one a day. Sorry to hear that your lab is not to well, I would recommend you take him to the vets especially if he has blood in his spools. Sorry not much help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.