Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts
?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found that with many newbies to Labs, their biggest concern is how much and how hard their puppies bite.

Now I reckon Labrador puppies are probably one of the worse offenders for acting like Crocodiles...Not only do they mouth everything but they bite hands, feet, clothes, faces, infact anything they can lay their teeth into.....and this is ALL perfectly normal. :wink: They bite hard enough to break skin, they also growl, pounce, attack and do numerous other "undesirable" things which you NEVER see the Andrex puppy doing :lol: .

So please if you have a concern about your pups biting, have a read up about Bite Inhibition.....There is a lot about it if you google and there is a lot about it here too. It is VERY important that your pup learns to control it's mouth....but it is also VERY important that the pup isn't stopped from biting too young.

I think along with other advise breeders give out, they really should give out information about just how much Lab pups DO bite, especially to people with children. As I'm sure many a person has thought they have bought a viscious pup that is going to eat their children alive.

Finally....as you are reading this anyway and you may not have already got your Lab pup .....

In short....If you don't want a pup that chews everything.....hangs onto your trouser legs...bites your ankles, hands, arms (leaving broken skin and scratches)....growls, pounces, lunges at your face when excited.....plays faarrr TOOO rough for most children under 10 to play with......then you really should rethink getting a Labrador Puppy...as that is just what they are like. :wink:

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Well said Jules and oh so true but once past that biting stage they are an absolute joy to have (I won`t say own), I agree with you about having them with under 10`s too although many here do have kiddies under that age and have managed well :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well said Jules..although we got Fudge when Lewis was 8 he found the croc a bit difficult for quite a while until he learned how to stop her and to do some training......they are the best of pals now though :D :D :D

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes..... There are plenty of children that have great relationships with their Labbie friends in the end and there are plenty of children that have been bought up with lots of dogs and are not worried about having the odd chunk taken out of them.....but similarly, there are a lot of young children that have no dog experience and then this much longed for Lab puppy must seem like a terrifying Devil Dog to them.....And if the parents aren't confident/dog aware enough to tell the kids that the pup WILL grow out of this and it WILL get better, then it must be a miserable time for all concerned.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I had to explain to my nieghbours son on several ,why he should not make a growling noise whilst pouncing towards Midas :roll: Then he runs around the garden screaming because midas thinks its an invitation for a game and gives chase :roll:

Midas still mouths on an odd occasion when he forgets himself ,although now its usually a crafty nibble of a jumper sleeve or today it was the backside of my sons jeans :lol:
Really think people should reseach a dog a lot more before getting one ,when we got Midas it took us several years of planning to get him before commiting and is a second dog in the household too

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
So glad you have said that Jules, cos at 7 months Tarka still bites me at times when he is excited. I have sometimes wondered what is lurking behind that angelic face and trusting brown eyes, does he hate me? Is he viscious? I have been near to tears with it, but then realize all that you have said is true. He IS a lovely dog, but this comes with the territory.

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
_joanne_ said:
I put a large piece on bite inhibition on the Puppy thread that I did.
And very good it is too :D :D . I used it the other day to help someone else out. :wink:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so very true, Alfie being my first dog i never before realised how bitey little crocodiles pups are but it does seem to be a lab thing.... Billy was nowhere near as bad but whether thats because he had Alfie to help teach the bite inhabition thing... i don't know :?

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
I don't remember my 'smalls' ever being particularly bitey as pups, but some of my lab pups have ripped my hands to bits in the past. But they all grew up to be gentle, loving, sensible (well, most of them did the 'sensible bit' in the end!) dogs. They have just 'gotta-bite' as youngsters!!

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Very timely post this. A lot of people are getting pups now, I know at least 3 and its so important that they are aware of the normal behaviour of these little critters.

Thanks Jules, great post.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
So what is it with labs? Why so much more mouthy than other breeds, just pondering?!

Baxter has long grown out of being a crocodile, but even now if you roll him on his back and scratch his tummy, his favourite thing is to mouth at your free hand/wrist - or a sleeve if he can get one. He does it so so very gently, but the 'urge' is still there, it's like he just can't help himself!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i must admit when i had scooby some of you may remember me posting about my concerns with the biting/playing rough around my 5 year old, but the problem soon went ands its quite amazing how clever he is, hell jump up adults and older children all day long but would never dream of jumping up or playing rough with a young child, hell just sit/stand there while a child fusses him, but would think a ha playtime with anyone else

·
Registered
255 Posts
Jules...What a great post

Worth the Mods making a sticky I think! :wink:

The biting was the one thing that really took me aback when we got Muzzy and I truly believed we had found the only vicious labrador puppy going.

Our hands and arms were shredded, not to mention the bottom of every pair of trousers we owned!

It was only coming on here and reading everyone else's experiences that made me think it was normal.

She's 7 months old now and although she likes to "hold" your hand in her mouth she doesn't bite at all now...so things do get better everyone :D

1 - 20 of 218 Posts