Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I`ve just joined and would like some advice please.
We`ll be viewing a litter of pups next weekend and I`d like thoughts on the Sire and Dam hip scores etc.,

The breeder sent over this information:
Dams scores are 0/0 elbows, 6/11 hips, unaffected for eye disease.
Sires scores are 0/0 elbows, 5/5 hips, unaffected for eye disease.
Both have had full DNA tests and are clear for CNM, prcd-PRA, SD2, EIC and HNPK. Health certificates and pedigree history are available to view.

Are the Dams hip scores too high?
Many Thanks,
James

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Hi, I`ve just joined and would like some advice please.
We`ll be viewing a litter of pups next weekend and I`d like thoughts on the Sire and Dam hip scores etc.,

The breeder sent over this information:
Dams scores are 0/0 elbows, 6/11 hips, unaffected for eye disease.
Sires scores are 0/0 elbows, 5/5 hips, unaffected for eye disease.
Both have had full DNA tests and are clear for CNM, prcd-PRA, SD2, EIC and HNPK. Health certificates and pedigree history are available to view.

Are the Dams hip scores too high?
Many Thanks,
James
Hi Jazzmac, the dam's hips look very high for me, my cut off would be 14 and as even as possible, the one side being 11, nearly double the other side would worry me I'm afraid. Funnily enough, when I got my first Labrador over 15 years ago now, the dam's hip score was 10/9, only two points over the BMS which was then 17, and now they use the median which is at 9, and the mean is at 11, so 17 is quite a long way above that.

·
Administrator
21,783 Posts
I think I would go onto the KC website and check the Estimated Breed Value for hips. This will help you to form an opinion on whether to poor hip is genetic or the result of accidental damage.

mykc.org.uk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts