Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 year old golden Labrador , in his clinical test yesterday he is been detected with rise in bilirubin level ie. 1.07 mg% , SGOT is 58.1 U/L , SGPT is 73.2 U/L . Right now I am giving him mucaine gel , sugarcane juice , iron tonic and liver 52 syrup as prescribed by vet doctor . Please tell me what best I can do for his health and what are other remedies . And how much time it will take him to recover .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exact cause is uncertain , but as far as I guess it may be because of pond water in which he used to have fun , there might be he had drunk that water else other guess is , just a week ago we had celebrations at out home and there were lott of fire works , he might had sniffed or tasted some of them and they often contain heavy metals in the form of cracker powder . This could be the another reason behind his health condition .

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
I think Nat is probably at work and will reply to you as soon as she can.

I have no personal experience of jaundice in dogs but if you read this link there is a lot of information about causes and treatment which may be useful http://cpah.com/encyclopedia/97/jaundice-canine.

Be careful about adding anything to his treatment without checking with your vet as his body is already working hard to deal with whatever has caused this, it sounds like he has a lot of meds to take so you might find it handy to make a checklist and tick it off each day so you can be sure he's had each of them when he needs to and if you live with others that he doesn't get two lots by accident. I hope he feels much better soon.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Firstly....sorry to hear your pupster is poorly

Next... Sorry I cannot give you any direct advice as this condition is a new one on me. However, what can be said is please try to stay calm and don't stress too much. Statement of the obvious --- that's so easy to say but nigh on impossible when it's your dog. I know from experience
You are doing the right thing as you're under a vet and as noted above stick to their advice if you have a good one. For advice in such matters you are in the right place and this site was a godsend to me in January and kept me sane

Please do keep us informed and there's always support here

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks @littlelab ,@paws , @DjGoody ... I am thankful for your support ... He is showing some signs of improvement ... He is on liquids only so excess urination is there which is good . Also because of mucaine gel he is getting proper sleep as it comes with anaesthesia as well . If anyone please suggest me if giving him sugar cane juice is good or not ?? Yesterday I gave him sugar cane juice and he is able to digest it well . I hope he will start having his foods on his own soon . Thank you so much for the much needed support .

·
Administrator
20,893 Posts
Jaundice in dogs is usually hepatic jaundice, indicative of liver damage. Hepatic diseases such as Nephritis or Leptospirosis are often causes. (I spent nearly 2 months in hospital with Nephritis as a child, but medication has moved on a bit since those days!!!) Usually the cure it to cure the underlying problem then the Jaundice will clear it's self.

As Paws said, be very careful about adding anything without talking it over with your vet first. In my day a bland diet was the order of the day, and NO SALT!!!

Regards, John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts