Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post here.

We have a 4 year old Labrador that we have had since she was a puppy. Now we have just bought an 8 week old Bichon Frise boy but the problem is the Lab is scared of the little Bichon Frise, every time he goes near her she runs out the way of him.

Now i don't know if this is normal for Labradors to act but we really don't want to get rid of the new puppy but if the labrador isn't going to get used to him then we will have to sell the puppy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It's' probably one of those things you just need to give time. You're lab is probably wondering what on earth this new creature is and is maybe a little jealous too. You will probably find that given time they are the best of friends. I know it's not the same thing but my cats left home when we got Oscar. 6 months on they are still wary of him (he does love to pounce!) but tolerate him. I hope it all works out for you.

Norma

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
When we got Millie it took our older dog Fudge a couple of weeks to accept her. We kept the new pup mainly in the kitchen where she had her crate. When Millie was in her crate then Fudge would come and give Millie a sniff in her crate, and come and look at the pup in her own time.
If it were me, i'd initially keep the new pup away from the older dog, and gradually introduce them and let the older dog meet the new pup in her own time. They will soon become best of friends, just take baby steps with the introduction.

?

·
0 Posts
I wrote this a while ago.....

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-53222.html

Really they do come round in the end, just don't rush your older dog or try to "force" the issue in anyway. It took my black Lab a good 6 months to accept my Poodle and I did wonder if she would ever get there, but she did.

I've found my Lab accepts Lab puppies so much easier and quicker than other breeds....I don't know why but it's like they know they're "Different".

Just stick with it and don't let the little one pester the older dog and all will be well in time. :wink:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Archie was terrified of Abby when we first brought her home. Not helped by the fact that she was absolutely besotted by him. We too wondered whether we had done the right thing. It took a while. He wouldn't tell her off at all and we would step in with 'enough' and separate them when she was getting over the top. Finally when she was about 16 weeks he finally put her in her place and that was it - they were great buddies.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
This is not an unusual reaction , it took 3 months before our labs accepted my viszla pup . Main thing is that I would when they are together supervise and always allow your lab to remove herself if she wishes to do so away from the pup . She will eventually come around :wink: she maybe just needs a little time .

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Stick with it. It is probably a time thing and nothing else, I would guess.

Charlie already knew my spaniel, Topsy, before she came to live with us as she had been my brother-in-law's dog until she was 16 months old (long story!). Even though they had always got on well and spent many weekends in each other's houses, it still took him several weeks to accept that she had become a permanent fixture with us. :roll: There were just a couple of spats between them - just him warning her not to nick HIS bed, or HIS bone. :twisted: :twisted:

I also found it was useful to crate train Topsy in the beginning, partly so that Charlie could have some peace from this crazy cocker. :lol: Do you use a crate for your Bichon?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts