Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me. Keen to have a labrador again and wondered if anyone can recommend a very up-to-date British book to read, mostly research and background info I'm looking for. Very experienced dog owner, have bred GSDs in the past, so keen to get something which tells me about the bloodlines of the breed. (My GSD library is pretty sizeable!!) Any suggestions welcomed!!

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
something which tells me about the bloodlines of the breed.
Wow. If it's heavy reading you want, "The Show Labrador Retriever in Great Britain and Northern Ireland 1945 to 1995" by Richard Edwards
(I don't think he had brought out a newer one yet)

"The Workers" British Labrador Retriever Field Trials-Obedience-Working Trials Champions 1904 to 1993 (Solid pedigrees from end to end!)
"The Early Years" Show Champions from 1906 to WW2

"Labradors 2000" Pedigrees of all champions, show and work from 1993 to 2000

The last three books are all compiled by Dr Isabella Kraft and Gary Johnson

Believe me, these books are not cheap! I just brought "The Workers" and the book, postage from Denmark and the cost of tranfering the money set me back £60

Regards, John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers John,you should see my GSD Sieger Show books - £40 a pop, one out every year, end to end photos and pedigrees and critiques!! The Show Labrador Retriever 1945 - 1995 should hold no fear!!

Is there such a thing as a Labrador Breed Handbook which is produced by a Lab breed council or large breed club? Just something to get me a little more up-to-date knowledgeable about pedigrees, sires, type etc?

Our previous Lab was a rescue from the local cat and dog home and didn't come with any paperwork whatsoever, but she was a really nice type of lab and a great dog too. We're not looking for anything too small and weedy or anything rolling in fat - just a nice sturdy lab that looks like it could do a day's work.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
The Labrador Retriever Club (That is the national breed club) brings out it's "Year Book" each year but this is really only for members. I dont know whether it is available to non members.

You can contact Richard Edwards:-

[email protected]

Ask him for his book list. Amongst other goodies he has year books from 1954 to 1997 (not all) and Brown J & Clarke J:- "Breeders directory to Labrador Retriever Pedigrees. 1971" for the bargin price of £120

For old books, have a look at Ebay. I have a lovely old book, "Dog Training For Amateurs, written by R Sharp in 1928. R Sharpe was a noted professional trainer and Field Trials man of his day, having worked such illustrious dogs as the famous "Flapper" (born 1902)

Regards, John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts