Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

We took young Brad to see the vet today, as he had a 'crusty' type of rash come up on his skin. It turns out he has bacterial skin infection, which the vet thinks could be caused by an allergy or from swimming. He's now on antibiotics, and getting extra cuddles from his mum & dad. :wink:

Anyway, the thing i wanted to ask you is, how do your labs react when visiting the vet?

I have to say, it was upsetting to see how Brad reacted to the vets. He was absolutely terrified, (worse than a previous visit) he had to be dragged into the consulting room, his little legs were shaking, he was panting very fast & ended up snuggling into my neck. Poor boy. He hasn't had a particularly bad experience before, just the usual jabs, check up & one time a jab for gastro.

Anyone have a lab that hates the vets too?

Would be interested to hear your experiences.

Many Thx,

Julie

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Ahhhh poor Bradley.. :(

Ben is used to the vets, he has been there so many times now..lol But for the last 4 weeks he has been having injections for his OCD, He is fine sat in the waiting room but now as soon as you head towards the vets room he knows what is coming..lol

By the last injection last week I was pushing him along the floor from behind to get him in to see the vet, the vet just stood there and laughed..lol As soon as the vet shut the door he said "Ben is going to roll over again I just know it." Sure enough as soon as the vet tried to put the needle in Ben rolled over with his legs in the air to try and stop him..lol :oops:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Hi Julie,

Bailey loves the vets :lol:

From the first day Bailey went to the vets at 8 weeks he's loved it. Our vets are very accomadating - they said that to avoid any future issues that Bailey may have, to take him in once a week!!

So i took him in once a week between 12 - 3. All the nurses fussed him, gave him treats and stuck him on the scales in the vets room and best of all - it was free :lol:

Resulting in............................ now when i get with in 50 feet of vets Bailey drags me the rest of the way 8O He bounds in, tail going six to the dozen and sits patiently waiting for the nurses to fuss him :lol:

I feel very lucky with my vet and that i don't i have issues taking Bailey to see them :D

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Aww Bless him!

Poor Bradley - I wonder whats frightened him?

Harvey doesnt mind going at all - in fact he pulls me in :) He's been about 6 times since we've had him including the x-ray, and even having to stay the day hasnt put him off. Fingers crossed it continues :)

I hope Bradleys infection soon clears up,

Fay :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd reccomed frequent social visits (another reason puppy parties are a good idea), often a good idea just to pop them on the scales and round a consulting room if they have any free. But also the body language of the staff can play a major role in the fear of vets, coming up to a dog straight infront of them is quite threatening to the dog as can be a lot of direct eye contact, the best way to approach a dog is from the side a good vet will be willing to work with you to solve this problem if not find a new vets.
Anna

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Julie,

Poor Bradley :(

I can only ditto what Kaye has said, we have a brilliant vet that works hard to make the animals feel comfy with them and want to see them.

Only last month they opened new surgery with the papers, MP and brass there, all formal like, and Tilly just bulldozrd her way in first. :oops: :oops:

If Brad hasn't been there other than for his injections, could it be the smell that bothers him?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Julie

Sorry to hear Bradley isn't well,hope he has a speedy recovery.

The problem I have with Buster going to the vets is that he gets too excited.He bounces around in the waiting room trying to get to the other dogs,by the time they call him into the consulting room he is so excited I can't do anything with him :oops: and he greets the vet like a long lost friend.Consequently when he has to be examined he won't keep still, which makes things difficult at times.

Kev

·
Registered
353 Posts
LOL Kev, sounds just like my Scooby!

He LOVES going to the vets and didn't care when I left him for his castration operation. He didn't even see me go, he was so excited about being with other people.

He doesn't notice getting injections as he is usually too busy sniffing everthing around him.

The nurses all speak to him and stroke him and one particular vet loves him and practically rolls around on the floor with him :lol:

No wonder he loves it.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All,

Thank you so much for your speedy replies, it's good to hear your thoughts.

It hasn't been possible to take Brad to the same vet each time unfortunately, as we have been on our travels, however when we return next month, we will sign him up with a 'permenant' vet, and take him on some social visits.

Will be good if we can get him to enjoy his visits, like some of the labs here, i hate to put him through stress.

Anna - interesting what you say about the body language, and the vet did approach him from upfront. Maybe this didn't help....

He was fine in the waiting room, happy as anything just sniffing around, but when the door to the consulting room opened and the vet came out, that's when he went into his fear stage.

Thx again everyone, if anyone else has any more thoughts i'd love to hear.

Julie

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
He was fine in the waiting room, happy as anything just sniffing around, but when the door to the consulting room opened and the vet came out, that's when he went into his fear stage.
Hi Julie

Just a thought but I wonder if it was just that particular vet that Bradley didn't like,was she wearing a uniform or anything about her appearance that might have made him feel wary?

Kev

S

·
0 Posts
I guess I have been very lucky with Corrie especially after all he has been through he still loves going to the vets!!

Sam

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Some time the smell can put then off too, abit like us walking into the hospital. They must be able to smell the fear of the other animals.

It is only the injections ben hated as for going to the vets well he loves to go there. They are so used to him that when we arrive the receptionist takes him off to visit all the nurses and vets... 8O he is gone for at least 10 minutes, one time the vet called us but we had no dog..lol

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a thought but I wonder if it was just that particular vet that Bradley didn't like,was she wearing a uniform or anything about her appearance that might have made him feel wary?
Hi Kev,

The vet looked quite normal to be honest, although i have to say wasn't that helpful in trying to coax Bradley in. Normally as Bradley is hesitant at the vets, we gentle coax him in with a toy/treats, and he will walk in of his own accord. This time, no matter how many treats or even the vets special 'doggy' toy - he was far too scared to walk in of his own accord.

Cristina - yes the smells must play a big part in all this i think, i'm the same with hospitals! I didn't realise Ben was having injections, hope he is doing ok...how is he getting on?

Thanks again everyone, it seems like most of your labs like the vets - we will definately be taking Brad for some social visits to the vet, where they can spoil him and fuss him, without getting a thermometer stuck up his bottom! 8O :wink:

All the best,

Julie

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie has loved it so far - mind you, all he's seen are young women vets who tell him how gorgeous he is everytime he's there with lots of attention :lol: Graeme keeps saying he wants to take him whenever he needs to go! :roll:

Hopefully the sponge eating experience in April hasn't put him off the place... we shall see :wink:

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
I hope Bradley gets better soon so he can go and have lots of swims again.

Hershey loves the vets he pulls me through the door sits sometime patiently and as soon as he is called he pulls me into the consultants room..

He just loves the attention :lol:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Charlie loves the vets as well - from the 1st time he went there he was given fuss and treats from the vets and the nurses and loves it now, even going in in March, and coming out 'ball-less' 8O hasnt put him off!!!

Izzie was a little more nervous, but our vets are very good and really fussed her before they examined her which in turn built up her confidence.

Hope that Bradley gets well soon Julie..... :D

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ollie use to love going to the vets but I made him go every fortnight just to pop in say hello and weigh him to check he wasn't getting tubby so he was a "regular" so as to speak. All the nurses loved him and made a fuss of him when he visited which of course he loved so I don't think he ever had a fear of the vets.
Ollie never noticed any injections when they were slipped into his neck. The only time he ever had a panic was when he went for some blood tests and the nurse shaved off a bit of his fur for the needle. He came limping out and showed everyone his shaved paw for days hoping for sympathy but because he had to go again a couple of days later he gripped hold of the units and tried to jump on top to (we can only assume) jump out of the open window rather than have his paw shaved again, poor lad we were only putting him on the weighing scales that particular day but he didn't forget the vidal sassoon moment.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Julie,

Yes Ben was having one injection a week for 4 weeks to speed up the recovery on his leg.

He goes along to his first hydrotherapy session on 26th next thursday, I will try and get some photo's..lol It is only going to be in their small pool for 4 minutes but hopefully we can build up from there. He will be going twice a week for the next 3 months.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Poor Bradley - hope he recovers soon.

Shadow detests the vets, probably because he spent so much time there as a puppy. He walks in quite happily and sits in the reception area happy as larry. The examination rooms are straight ahead from the waiting area and the way out is on the right, half way towards the rooms. When we are called, he starts off ok, but then tries to pull right towards the exit. Once inside the exam room, he sits staring at the door handle. I think he is trying telekinesis to make the handle move and open the door and escape!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rash and vet visits

Hi,

I am sorry to hear abour Mr Bradley! Murphy has had the same rash, caused by swimming and perhaps frontline. The vet said that the combination of frontline, swimming and sunnier weather could have caused it. He ended up with a shaved patch on his shoulder and a steroid lotion. It was much better after 3 days!

As for the vet visits,. why not take Bradley more frequently for 5 minutes to get weighed and treats from the staff? THis has worked wonders for Our Murphy boy. :wink:

Good luck,

Lyndsay and Mr Murphy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts