Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 1 year+ of training and sometimes wondering what real world use most of it is... Sophie finally had the chance to help me in the real world...

So, I'm in the lounge at home with a small tube of paint and I managed to drop the tiny lid on the floor. I couldn't find it anywhere. Looked all over whilst Sophie just lay there looking at me.

Hang on a minute, I thought... she's staring at me so I let her sniff the tube and told her "find it". Up she pops and starts sniffing!

Within seconds she is laying down by a chair "pointing" with her nose. I got down to look and there the lid was!

I was so chuffed and it was rice biscuits on me. :)

G

·
What a clever girl!!

Is that something you've trained her to do? If so can I ask how you trained her to do it?

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
_anita_ said:
Is that something you've trained her to do? If so can I ask how you trained her to do it?
The training sort of went along these lines:

1. Get a food treat bag with some nice smelly treats or a favourite toy if your dog is driven by it. We'll call it the 'reward'.

2. Get a couple of heavy items (maybe plant pots) that you can hide reward under. They need to be heavy so that your dog can't get to the reward.

3. Hide reward under one of the plant pots whilst letting your dog see you hide it. Once your dog has got the hang of this game you naturally won't let him/her see you hiding it.

4. Tell your dog to "find it" and they should sniff around the plant pots.

5. As soon as your dog sniffs at the correct pot, get them to either lay down or sit and as soon as they do that reward them with a treat, whilst praising them at the same time. You can then remove the reward and start again. I often let Sophie see the reward as I take it out from under the pot which makes her drive for it even higher for the next game.

6. You need to repeat this and practice this a lot obviously, with a view to them understanding they must signal by sitting or laying down when they find something they can't physically retrieve.

7. Make sure that at the end of a training session you let them have some food from the pouch or a good play with the toy.

8. You can then start to practice by putting the reward the other side of a chain link fence, for example, or anywhere out of reach.

Hope that didn't sound too confusing. :)

G

·
Hope that didn't sound too confusing.
That's great thanks!

No prizes for guessing what we'll be doing this afternoon! Sounds like lots of fun, I'm sure Rueben will love it!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
_anita_ said:
That's great thanks!

No prizes for guessing what we'll be doing this afternoon! Sounds like lots of fun, I'm sure Rueben will love it!

Anita & Rueben
xXx
Cool, let us know how you get on!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts