Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old female Lab is often scratching herself and will do this for a couple of minutes each time. She doesn't have fleas and is wormed monthly.

Is this likely to be diet related?

I have tried Beta, Baker's Complete and Pedigree (all dry complete foods) and there seems little change.

Has anyone else had scratching issues with the above brands? Do I need to switch to Hills Science Plan at twice the price...?

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
how often during the day is she scratching??

have you put carpet cleaner down or a spray that you havent used before? have you bathed her with shampoo?

is she red anywere on her body?? is she scratching all over or just one spot??

·
Registered
180 Posts
Haven't tried any of the brands that you mentionned, but both of mine started scratching more on Burns chicken and rice, switched them to Burns fish and rice and they stopped again - don't ask me!!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Has she been seen by a vet. Her diet may be causing this reaction, personally I would feed none of these foods, but it may be something more than just feeding. If she has an allergy the vet will need to take skin scrapes to determine the cause.

Bailey used to scratch, he simply stopped what he was doing and gently scratched at a couple of places and went back to whatever he was doing. But for no more than a couple of seconds. Your bitch scratching for 2 minutes is quite a long time.

I did change Baileys food at this point, as I thought this might be the cause. I was already feeding BARF at one meal so simply converted to all meals. within 2 weeks Bailey had stopped scratching. I can only assume it was food related, but my 6 other Labs did not have this problem :? And the feed I was giving them was additive and gluten free.

Long story short, I would get a vet check, just to make sure there is no underlying medical problem.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
lol..sorry i just realised i never finished my post..lol..

the reason i say about household stuff is it might not be down to food at the same time it could..but look at other possiblitys aswell

and yes i agree with the others take her to the vets all dogs scratch but i dont think for 2 mins at a time..lol..

let us know how you get on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts